processing outputs

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions processing outputs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of danny
    danny
    Participant

The main goal for this is I want a “virtual crossover” to save some space taking rack gear places.

I know that some people use aux fed subs, (eg assigning channels to Aux1, as well as main L/R outputs) then apply filters to Aux 1 to restrict the frequency.
    but this suffers from the issue that when you turn down (or up) the main mix, you need to adjust a separate fader for this sub control.

By default the Main L and Main R are assigned to output 11/12, but they can be assigned to any/all outputs.
    The issue is that it appears to be the processing is on the channel, not the output.
    (so I want to assign Main L to out 1,2,3 and Main R to 4,5,6) then have different band-pass filters, time delays and output gain applied to each output, (not the Main LR.)

But the only way I can see to accomplish this is to use a short XLR to loop L/R back into a pair of desk channels (not routed to LR!) and then feed these channels to auxs with appropriate filters/time delays etc. then assign the aux channels to outputs the drive amplifiers.

Is there some other way that I haven’t thought of? – or do I need to just keep using an external crossover?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

So, it looks as if you have a three way speaker system that you need a crossover for?

The loopback you describe is going to introduce D/A & A/D delays, making time alignment difficult, if not impossible. It’s also going to eat up a lot of inputs & outputs.

Look at feeding L&R to the 3 matrix outs (in stereo), and using the PEQ & delay they have to achieve a sort of crossover. You can then patch these to 6 output sockets. It may work for what you need, thought I’d go for a proper crossover / speaker processor unit.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I am all for NOT having main system processing taking place with in a mixer……because
    – The system will only work with that mixer.
    – What if you need to do last minute mixer replacement.
    – Too easy to get into the settings and damage the system.
    – It uses a lot of the mixer’s outputs.

There is a lot of good system DSP processors available today at all price points.
    You should carry a spare DSP in some form or another just in case.

For what it’s worth I carry a spare DSP, spare power amp and a spare mixer that will let me get the show done if needed.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

but this suffers from the issue that when you turn down (or up) the main mix, you need to adjust a separate fader for this sub control.

not if the mix is post fader

The issue is that it appears to be the processing is on the channel, not the output.

that’s the way it works and that’s why it is a mixing desk not a PA processor

there are very cheap processors available, some with very small footprint like MiniDSP, Xilica Solaro QR or WorkPro AoIP Line devices
    and there are more…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Choose a DSP that will take AES inputs to save a couple of conversion stages.
    I use DBX Venue360’s, they met the processing and price points needed for my systems and
    they will take AES inputs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.