Problems with scenes using QU-16 and QU-SB

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Problems with scenes using QU-16 and QU-SB

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I will try and make this post as simple as possible to follow.

A few weeks ago I posted about a small problem involving transferring scenes saved on my 3yr old QU-16 to other QU desks, on all occasions, this has never been possible to achieve. The “other” desk can always see my saved scenes but would never allow me to transfer from USB drive to desk.

This happened with a QU-24 I had in my possession for a brief spell and again a few weeks ago when I bought another QU-16 just to sell on, neither desk would allow me to transfer any of my saved scenes across.
    So move on to yesterday, I have just bought a QU-SB for the purpose of using that with the band and using the QU-16 for FOH work I undertake from time to time when the band schedule allows.

I set up both items side by side, my thumb drive that has all my saved scenes on was popped into the QU-SB USB port, like the others, it can see the scenes saved on my thumb drive but won’t allow me to copy them across. So I ended up having to copy the last scene on my QU-16 and enter all parameters manually into the QU-SB to create a new scene that could be saved.
    I used a different thumb drive that was formatted using the QU-SB’s formatting facility and saved that manually inputted scene to the new thumb drive.

Right, hope you’re still following me? 

Next thing I did was this; I have never used the “Show scene” facility, so after saving a master scene in the QU-SB I went ahead and saved that master scene as a SHOW SCENE and saved it to my new thumb drive. So for curiosity, I decided to pop the new thumb drive into my old QU-16 just to see if it would let me transfer that scene and load it up.

My QU-16 could see both the saved MASTER scene and the SHOW scene, right; here comes the other strange part. Having never used a Show scene before I went ahead and loaded it, not knowing that it would erase all my other 90 saved scenes within the QU-16! Not a problem as I have those scenes backed up on my other thumb drive and on 500gb HDD drive.

So my old QU-16 can see and transfer scenes saved on the QU-SB but this procedure cannot be done the other way round. So after finding this out I went ahead to load up my old saved scenes back into my QU-16 and override the SHOW scene I had just loaded up, now, my QU-16 can see the saved scenes on my old thumb drive that have been created over the course of the last 3 yrs using my QU-16, but it won’t allow me to select any to transfer back across and load up.

I also did a “HARD RESET” on the QU-16 to take it back to factory settings, after doing this it still would see my saved scenes on the thumb drive but wouldn’t allow me to transport them across and load up.

So now I have 90 scenes that will not work on either the QU-16 or SB, yet the new scene that was created on the QU-SB will load up on either product.

Hope you all haven’t fallen asleep or lost the will to live?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

TL;DR, but are all of the desks operating at the same firmware?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Sorry, forgot to mention that both desks are operating on the latest FW.

My post seems to be in two different forum categories even though I deleted this particular one.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I saw the other two were marked as Spam, but missed you’ve also posted in general discussion, when made one visible again. So I’ve moved this thread to troubleshooting, hope thats ok.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for doing that, I went into my profile and deleted the one under “General”, but it was still there.

Lee

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Could you upload one of the scene files that doesn’t open on any desk (maybe a more recent one rather than older), along with a scene file created on the qu-16 after the factory reset?

I’m guessing no error messages appear?

Profile photo of AlanG
    AlanG
    Participant

I don’t have a straight answer but it smells to me like a USB stick problem – maybe that the Q cannot properly read the USB stick. I suggest the following :

1 Purchase a new USB stick on the A & H approved list by a good manufacturer, with plenty of memory & USB3. I use a 32GB Crucial by Micron.

2 Format the USB drive on the Q, when it has finished, shut the Q down, switch off & remove the USB, replace the USB & switch on the Q.

3 Copy one scene to the USB, shut the Q down and restart the Q. This “shut down, & switch Q off & restart” is to ensure that all pending “copy to USB” memory is flushed. It should not be necessary, but I do it on my PC & I’m slightly paranoid – am I paranoid enough ? <g>

4 Check to see if that scene can be copied

5 If it can then add scenes one at a time & checking one at a time.

This should give more clues as to your problem. And at least clear the USB

AlanG

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’d say this is defiantly a problem to open a support ticket for with A&H. They should be able to look for anything strange in your files.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I don’t think it is a USB stick problem as I have been using this stick since I bought the desk over 3yrs ago, I even have the same scenes stored on Samsung HDD that I use occasionally for recording shows, even those scenes could not be imported into the QU-SB. It could see them but wouldn’t allow to be imported.

I have some scenes that are stored in a folder within my Dropbox account, just follow the link.

These are the same scenes that will not transport into my QU-SB or the other QU-16 that I bought a couple of months ago, and since I loaded the “Show Scene” into my QU-16 that was created using the QU-SB, my QU-16 will now no longer import the said scenes, very odd.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aq265e59tkgl6tm/AAB72G2P9alMdk7J2igWaVr6a?dl=0

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Well, these are the same scenes as in the Moving Scenes from One QU to Another thread. While those already worked on my Qu32, I’ve just re-tried to import them on my Qu-Pac using a freshly formatted stick (since I don’t know which one I’ve used last time).
    Attached some shots, looks ok for me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

That is most odd, I will try my stick again tomorrow as we’re out with the band, I will be using the QU-SB but will have the desk in the van anyway, so will try again and see if all works as should.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Update:

So last nights gig or at least sound check didn’t start too well.

Oddly, the QU-SB recognised all my QU-16 scenes and would allow me to load them up, but still able to do this the other way round.

But the strange thing was, the initial scene I had to copy manually into the SB the other day worked but without vocal FX, even though this was also dialled in. No matter what I tried I couldnt get any vocal FX on the mics. So I loaded up other scenes that I knew were ok, but, still no FX.

So I reverted back to using my QU-16 as I had that in the van, this had one scene that worked which was the one it started off with the other day when I copied setting from the 16 to the SB, but, that too had no vocal FX, even though you could clearly see it was set for it. I eventually managed to dial in a similar reverb to get us through, amidst a lot of foul language anger.

So today I am going to set up the SB and see where the problem lies, I will take some video clips for you all to see and will share a link from the folder that I store them in.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Here is a link to a couple of clips showing my QU-16 excepting it’s original USB drive with all scenes that were saved on that desk showing up in the window, but not allowing me to transport back into the QU-16.

The other clip is showing you a scene within the QU-SB that will not allow the use of FX, bearing in mind all my old scenes that the above mixer will not load up, the QU-SB will, but without FX. I can pick various vocal FX to use, but none work.

Faulty SB?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8mtf0rp0vncgt06/AAAMA4h4zExaxUJvgNfTdoW9a?dl=0

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Please re-read my post in the other thread: You first need to select a target slot on the left, otherwise the Qu does not know where to copy the scene to so keeps the copy button disabled.
    Regarding FX: Most interesting thing is missing in the clipe: Does your mic reach the FX engine at all? Is the channel assigned to feed FX?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Will set up the desk again in the morning and try that. Regarding the mic reaching the FX engine, I don’t think it is.

As the SB was able to import all my old scenes I picked several at random and all were missing there FX, yet I know thee scenes are fine, I have used some of them on more than one occasion over the course of the last 3 yrs.

Will set it all up again in the morning and see if there is anything glaringly obvious I have overlooked, sometimes always better to have an extra pair of eyes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.