problems with mute unmute using a mute group

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting problems with mute unmute using a mute group

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

I had a very embarrassing moment this evening while doing the sound for a band with my Qu-16 mixing table. After the first set of the band I muted L/R and the mixing groups I was using by using the mute group with L/R, mix1, mix2 and mix3. When the band started again I pressed the mute button to unmute L/R, mix1, mix2 and mix3. The mix1, mix2 and mix3, used as monitor groups, didn’t give any sound. All the signs on the mixing table and on my iPad were that they should work (I checked and rechecked a couple of times) but they simply didn’t. The band had to stop and I had to turn off my active speakers and my amp and reboot my mixing table to get the monitors working again.

When I tried to use the mute group again at the end of the second set, using my iPad, the button showed up red while the monitor groups were still giving sound. This all looks like a serious software errors.

Does any other owner/user of the Qu-16 run into this problems? If the answer is yes what is Allen & Heath planning to do to solve this. This kind of incidents will ruin my reputation of a highly motivated and passionated sound man.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Have not seen this but not sure I have ever configured exactly that. Will try to simulate it this weekend.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I feel your pain. Having equipment let you down, whatever the reason, is never fun.

I often run a mute group with all my outputs on it though, (Qu-16) and have never had this problem. But I’ll also try to replicate it, which mute group was it in case that makes a difference?

lesouvage
    Participant

It was mute group1. I set it up using my iPad and I switched the mute group on by pressing softkey 1 on the mixing table. The indication were that everything was OK but, as I mentioned before, the monitors simply didn’t gave any sound.

Thanks for the effort of responding to my question. This kind of accidents makes me a bit nervous.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Well, I’ve tried – but can’t get it to do what you describe.

I’m sure you’ve though of this, but, there’s no way a DCA could have been set for those outputs is there?

lesouvage
    Participant

@markpaman, it is very unlikely that a DCA has been set. I have never used a DCA and between turning the mute group on because the band took a pause and turning it back off I also took a break. As far as I understand, after a reboot, the Qu-16 returns to its last settings and in that case the DCA would have been restored to.

What was a bit weird was that the mute leds of the Qu-16 looks like a light show thing with weird patterns of blinking of the different leds. There were some channels muted by the mute group which were already muted when the mute group was turn on. Perhaps this is normal behaviour but it looked a bit odd.

Thanks for trying to replicate the problem I run into. Isn’t there anything like a log file stored somewhere in the Qu-16 so someone with the proper skills can trace what happened and where the problem started?

lesouvage
    Participant

I run into this review of the XTI4000 Crown amp I’m using

>>>>>>>>
    There was a problem with some of the amps during the early production run but that was several years ago. That bug was fixed. The amps would lose one side of a stereo program or start cutting in and out.
    >>>>>>>>

The problem I run into might be caused by the XTI4000 Crown amp. It is a little bit “of forum” but if anyone of you with experience with the XTI4000 Crown amps can advice me on what to do to avoid this problem in the future that would be highly appreciated. I’m not sure that this is the cause of the problem but it might be. English is not my native language and I’m not sure what is mend by “start cutting in and out”.

MarkPAman
    Participant

“Cutting in and out” = Randomly not working. In an amp, probably stopping completely at times, then working normally.

If you do have a faulty amp, it would only explain some of the things you describe in your first post. The mute on the iPad failing to stop the sound would not be an amp problem.

Unfortunately, two problems at once, if this is what you have, frequently leads to far greater confusion!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.