Problem Recording using QU 16 USB B with cubase 5

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Problem Recording using QU 16 USB B with cubase 5

This topic contains 62 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JP JP 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Final note: With these settings (Buffers Standard, 256 Samples) systen went well for another 6 hours, 9 in total.
    From what I’ve observed here I think we may need to check in other directions as well. My (formerly retired) notebook carries is a rather pure installation, intended for live recordings only, so there is only little background activity. With lower buffer settings audio stability gets more sensitive to actions I do on the surface. Moving the mouse around already produced some clicks on lowest setting. Some background tasks may check for updates, optimize disks, scan for malware or similar, which make things worse. A bad driver for hard disk (i.e. software RAID) or network controller may be the culprit as well.
    Even switching from nVidia to ATI does not always seem to cure the issue but only change the symptoms.
    Always remember: Audio streaming via USB requires the driver to schedule and receive packets each 125µSec. This requires a well designed hardware and driver backend. Any driver which locks the system for a lengthy period (talking about fractions of a mSec here) may kill the audio stream.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just to put this into context – when I was speccing hardware for data centre applications we had an issue with some WD drives on 3ware controllers.

They were RAID specified drives, but had a bug in the firmware that would occasionally lock up for a few clock cycles. That was enough for the controller to decide the disk had failed and drop it from the array.

Audio latency is at least as sensitive – my old recording machine (PCI ADAT cards) had, and still has I presume, a plain WinXP installation – but never touched a network – so no AV, no anything other than Audacity (ASIO compiled) and the FLAC encoder.

WD did release a fix – but that required removing the disks and booting them in a PC without a raid card AND it failed to increment the version number.
    So you couldn’t tell whether a disk had been patched or not, and couldn’t reasonably path the ones in service around the world. I was not happy with that fix!

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

A thought: Check to see if Windows has Indexing enabled for the drive. I’ve read in other recording and live audio forums that the drive indexing done by Windows for its search engine can use up some resources. I could be wrong (and welcome any correction) but it is my understanding that Windows Indexing causes the OS to occasionally check the drive for changes, and this could interrupt some other drive activity.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I’ll always turn off indexing right after OS installation, so I obviously missed to mention that. Yes, indexing indeed should be turned off on a DAW system.

Profile photo of VK
    VK
    Participant

Ahhh – Hey Ho!!
    And the crackling/distortion is back with a vengeance.

I have honestly tried everything. It immediately disappears if you change the buffer settings between standard/low and minimum, but only for a short while.

Seriously considering getting a proper PC DSP Hammerfall Soundcard which I am confident will stop the problem. Sad thing is – i was persuaded into buying the QU-16 because I was told that the soundcard inside was of fantastic quality and there was no need for an internal pc soundcard. It was simple plug and play.

That was clearly poor advice and i am now of the conclusion that the QU-16 soundcard and system is totally inadequate and cannot cope with home programming/recording at high end level. And – as it also has no digital inputs or outputs, only USB Host – that leaves me with another problem.

A bit poor really!!

and – as I read above, no-one including A&H have any reasonable solution or resolve.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

There is no reasonable solution since the issue obviously only happens on particular systems. There are many users around, including myself, who are using the Qu for recording in studio and live situations without any issue (both QuDrive and DAW Streaming).
    Several issues already could be solved within the forum, some are still unclear.
    PC installations may be rather complex and difficult to diagnose from remote. If increasing buffer sizes does not help, I’m pretty sure the culprit is somewhere else and not located in your audio configuration. Maybe a hidden USB hub inside the PC, maybe some bad (non-audio) driver, maybe some other USB device, maybe some bad setting inside the DAW, etc., difficult to tell.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The QU as a soundcard works well – there might be an issue with your unit – but it’d be hard to demonstrate without taking it and your PC to a dealer.

Profile photo of VK
    VK
    Participant

@ [XAP]Bob

In which case – i’d be very happy for you to visit my home in Blackpool and see if you can remedy the issue. Because it actually prevents me from working!! – I’ll even put you up!!

I guess I’ll try anything to get rid of this problem – which I’ve never had before, except only with the QU-16.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

A fair way north….

I’d suggest that a dealer is going to be in a better place than me to help.

I don’t know who is around up there though 🙁

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

VK-
    The Qu-16 is working well for me as a soundcard. I’ve been recording with it daily for over a year. I’m using a Macbook Air and Logic. I did have some distortion issues one day and I’m wondering if you can see if your problem is related to having the phantom power engaged for a long while. It’s a shot in the dark, I’m not technically minded, but I thought I’d throw that out there.

I hope you’re still reading this thread. I know you’re not the only one with recording troubles. There have been A & H representatives at this forum trying to troubleshoot this. I believe this problem is difficult to track down.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

My guesses:

Sensitive USB components (either in the QU, the PC or both) combined with a weak USB cable?
    Software – something that takes a mere few ms will be enough to kill the USB connections, and there are so many things nowadays that assume you have infinite CPU I/O and memory… If I was relying on it then I’d run a standalone PC…

Have you tried with a SanDisk Extreme in the QuDrive port?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Technical note: USB Audio frames are scheduled each 125µSec (1/8 mSec). A single missed frame will at least generate a click. A single driver in your system perfoming some sort of busy wait or defers execution of USB handling in combination with non-buffering hardware will break audio streams easily.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@VK
    Have you tried the latency checker utilities referred to in our KB article? It would be interesting to see your results.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Thank you for that link, Nicola. I’ve dived into that a little further and remembered the Microsoft tool RATT and found this informative thread in the cocos (Reaper) forum. It basically describes how to track down DPC issues using RATT but even more interesting is, that onboard audio drivers more than once seem to be the culprit for these issues.

Profile photo of philt80
    philt80
    Participant

Yeah… so I thought my issue was fixed. As I had changed the video card to and AMD version it appeared to go away for a while but now its back like crazy. I too have to change my sampling rate again and then eventually have to reboot my system. There is enough users with issues now. Where is tech support with a solution?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.