preamps of SQ and D168 the same ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions preamps of SQ and D168 the same ?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of musicsound
    musicsound
    Participant

are the preamps (and the sound in general) of the QS5/6 exactly the same than the preamps of the stage box D168 ?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Presumably you mean the DX168. No, they are not. The DX168 has the dLive preamps. However, they should be close.

I haven’t done a blind test with them yet.

Profile photo of Juan Pablo Recio
    Juan Pablo Recio
    Participant

does that mean “better”?

can DX168 can be used directly to a C1500 surface with no conection to a CDM32?

thanks

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

no and no

1 million times said… the mixrack is the desk

Profile photo of Juan Pablo Recio
    Juan Pablo Recio
    Participant

@steffen 1 million times?

Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant

Not completely scientific or definitive by any stretch, but for what it’s worth:

Y-cable to split source feed between two stereo inputs on an SQ-5. Used a test tone to match the input levels and then with stereo music playback blind switched between:

DX168 inputs 1/2 via SLink and SQ-5 local ST1 line in:
    I chose the DX168 as my favourite every time. There seems to be something about it; a definition that presents details in the music and vocals more clearly – added sparkle.

SQ-5 local inputs 1/2 and SQ-5 local ST1 line in:
    These two are much closer and in fact I chose the ST1 line in, but I’d be hard pressed to say there’s much of a difference here.

Neither disappoints, but I’d say the DX168 has some extra magic over the local inputs. I’d love to hear others thoughts on this and I stand by to be shot down by A&H telling me they’re actually identical! 🙂

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the ST1 is not a mic pre

@JuanPablo I answered this question to many times
    the mixrack is a mixing desk and the surfaces are “only” remote controllers with audio I/O

Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant

Very true Steffen. I’m fully aware and almost pointed that out in my response actually. I just used ST1 as a common reference because I don’t currently have cables on hand to switch between DX168 1/2 and SQ-5 local 1/2 from the same playback source.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

to ask if the input circuits of the DX168 are the same as in the SQ6:
    i measured the inputs and found that the DX168 inputs have a little less distortion. i only measured THD+N.
    so the circuits are not identical. but the values are still very good for a console in this price range! you really don’t have to worry here.

Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant

Thank you Wolfgang, that’s interesting, and very true about the console. I checked the official specifications and there are differences shown there too (though I’m aware these can’t always be relied on for direct comparison):

Mic/Line Inputs        | SQ                        | DX168
    Input Sensitivity      |  -60 to +0dBu             |  -60 to +15dBu
    Switchable Pad.        |  -20dB                    |  -20dB Active PAD
    Analogue Gain          |  0dB to +60dB, 1dB steps  |  +5 to +60dB, 1dB steps
    Max Input Level.       |  +30dBu                   |  +30dBu (PAD in)
    Input Impedance.       |  >5kΩ                     |  >4kΩ (Pad out), >10kΩ (Pad in)
    THD+N Unity gain 0dB   |  0.002% -92dBu            |  not listed
    THD+N Mid gain +30dB   |  0.003% -91dBu            |  not listed
    Mic EIN                |  not listed               |  -127dB with 150Ω source
    Phantom Power          |  +48V (+3V / -2V)         |  +48V

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

the specifications also show, however, that the same preamps are probably not used here.
    However, this will certainly not be noticeable in daily practice, as other factors play a much greater role.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.