Pre Fade Aux EQ

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Pre Fade Aux EQ

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Logan Logan 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Logan
    Logan
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to have my IEM Aux’s pre EQ. When I go to the routing screen on the aux Chanel all I see is ‘post PEQ’ ‘post delay’ etc etc

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

The routing screen is where you make the change for the source options.
    Your “pre-eq” options are going to be listed as “post-preamp”, “post-hpf”, “post-gate”, “post-inst ret”.
    Those will be your only options to aquire the signal before any EQ processing.

Profile photo of Logan
    Logan
    Participant

Ok – that makes sense. So if I go ‘post preamp’ I still won’t have control over the individual channels PEQ independent from the main mix though right?

Logan

Underscore
    Participant

That sounds correct.
    The Aux will be using the individual “dry” signals. You do have the option of adding “EQ” to the Aux channel as a whole, just not the individual inputs to it.
    If you need actual EQ processing on the individual signals separate from the mains, you will have to setup some kind of an “insert” on the individual channel then select “post-inst ret” as your Aux channel signal pick point.

If you are wanting to only adjust signal level for the mains mix processing, set your main pre-amp gain as needed for the IEM/AUX, then use the “digital trim” to then adjust signal level used for the remaining house mix processing only.

Profile photo of Logan
    Logan
    Participant

Thanks for your help on this.

Recently I purchased some UE 11Pro IEM’s and am noticing the EQ that sounds good in the house on my vocal/guitar is quite boomy in my ears. I was hoping to be able to adjust those independently as to not lose the fullness of the other instruments in my mix by adjusting the GEQ or PEQ.

Any thoughts on this?

Underscore
    Participant

From the sounds of it, what you are really wanting to do, would be easier to do with a more advanced IEM system(like the 40ch ME-1) as it does provide for individual channel EQ adjustment(basic LMH blending) and mixing totally separate from the house mix/eq settings.

Doing EQ with an insert can be challenging as what you set in the “insert eq” for the purpose of the AUX IE signal, would have to be changed(undone) in the house EQ section for the remaining house mix. Not saying it can’t be done, just that it is a bit more involved.

Profile photo of Logan
    Logan
    Participant

Thanks again for your help! Yes the ME-1 is in our plans for this year.

Thanks again

Underscore
    Participant

So I did some more reading, as I’m the FOH guy, not the ME-1 user on stage…. scratch what I said about the ME-1. It only has a single 3 band EQ on it’s output, not per input channel. Adjusting it would be no different than adjusting the output EQ of your current AUX channel… sorry if I misled you.

I can experiment more with the EQ insert option, if you are only talking about a couple of channels, it shouldn’t be too difficult, but there is limited space in the virtual FX rack. Less if you are using any other FX generators for your house mix.

Profile photo of Logan
    Logan
    Participant

Ok – no worries. We are in a church here and are largely volunteer based so it may also be a mater of fine tuning some of the FOH EQ’s. I’m just learning about all of this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.