Pre Amp Problems?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Pre Amp Problems?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Hi All,

I have been trying to chase down an intermittent problem from our Roland Drums to our GLD-112. We are using 4 outputs from the drum brain to DI boxes, then to the wall and finally to the AR2412. The problem we are seeing is the signal is dropping roughly 20db for a couple of the channels (but only intermittently). We swapped out the brain box, still see the problem, swap out the DI box, still see the problem, swapped cords and can occasionally get it to fail. I tested all the cords and they seem to be rock solid and the cable running from the wall to the AR2412. I cannot be certain but I’m starting to wonder if it is a preamp problem. I have a hard time believing that a cord could drop a signal 20db.

On Sunday, all channels worked fine for the first service and through the sermon of the second service. After the sermon, the problem again surfaced.

Suggestions would be welcomed. I’ve tested everything I think possible.

Rick

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Obvious thing would be to try 4 other input sockets. If problem persist then it is not the stage box or console.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

-20dB is a common value for pads, both in consoles and DI boxes. If the pads were somehow being activated that might explain it. Take a look into the preamp screen next time it happens, maybe try switching the pad on and off again even if it says it’s already off.

Depending how intermittent it is it’s unlikely to be the DI’s but on some (such as ART X Directs) the pad switches are exposed and easy to hit.

Chris

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Thanks guys. I had planned on trying some different channels, this will also require some changes at the ME-1’s. I also give the PAD on/off suggestions. One stupid question, are the pre-amps in the AR boxes? Sending either an AR box or the whole console would be a major bummer – maybe we can rent a demo or something.

Rick

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Yes, the preamps and analog to digital converters are in the AR’s. If you’re sending input sockets directly to the ME-1’s then yes you’d have to reconfigure, but if you’re sending channel direct outs all you would have to do is change the preamp soft-patch for the channel.

Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.