Power off without shutdown

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Power off without shutdown

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PEJ
    PEJ
    Participant

I have a new QU-24 and am getting excited to put in production in a church installation setup. I want to power it via a sequencing power bar daisy chained to the one controlling the amplifiers. Of course, I fully expect someone will power down without first shutting down the QU.
    I searched the forum but did not find much discussion on this. Will powering down a live QU corrupt the stored settings or hurt it in any way? I do not have an iPad…yet, can I shutdown from the QU-pad app?
    Advice welcome.

Peter

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

It is not advisable to bypass the correct shut down process and “crash” the console. And no, you cannot power down from the app.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

The manual explains that the Shutdown option on the Home screen is there to ensure that all files being written to the USB ports have completed. If you turn off the mixer while files are being written, you may corrupt the disk to which the files are being written. This can have major consequences.

If you are not recording or saving scene or show data, turning off the mixer without using the shutdown option should cause no problems. That has been my experience, but you may wish to see if someone from A&H responds to your question with information that I’m not aware of.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

However rare, a potential for data corruption is also on the Qu memory, not just USB – the mixer regularly auto stores current settings on board. Hence the recommendation to always shut down safely the software first.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

However rare, a potential for data corruption is also on the Qu memory, not just USB – the mixer regularly auto stores current settings on board. Hence the recommendation to always shut down safely the software first.

Thanks for the clarification. I had been meaning to comment that I would rather follow the prescribed method of safely shutting down as incorporated into the console as opposed to trusting a report of not yet having experienced any problems, but now i don’t have to.

Better safe than sorry.

Profile photo of fgrillet
    fgrillet
    Participant

Good evening,

I plan to acquire a Qu-Pac, also for a church. It will be in a rack and the power switch won’t be accessible. I have understood the need to follow a specific procedure to turn it off, but, after this process, if we cut the electric power with an external switch, will the console automatically restart when we give it again?
    Best regards from France and all my apologies for this poor english language!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Technically its the same to switch off using the internal power switch or just pull the mains plug. It is recommended to use the shutdown button on home screen so that current settings are stored correctly.
    So, yes, it will boot up as usual using an external switch.

Profile photo of fgrillet
    fgrillet
    Participant

Hi Andreas, thanks a lot for your fast answer. I’ll stick a large leaflet explaining how to stop right next to the main switch 😉

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Question – can shutdown be added to a soft key (probably needed a long press?)

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi all,

@fgrillet if the power switch on Qu is always on and you cut the power with an external switch or breaker, Qu will automatically restart when power is supplied again.

@xapbob I’ll add this to the list of feature requests. Standard shutdown procedure requires a confirmation. This would have to be worked in.

Thanks.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Long press to bring the screen up might be easier for this situation though – maybe not a common request, but it doesn’t strike me as a significant development effort 😉

Can’t recall if the console is “locked” while the shutdown screen is shown?

The model I was thinking of is the projector style “push button for 2 seconds” brings up a confirmation screen, which says “press again if you really want to turn off”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.