Post-Preamp pickoff – Width??

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Post-Preamp pickoff – Width??

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey folks!

I was going through the signal flow block (PG 130 of the firmware rev 1.8 notes,) and noticed that width mode comes *before* that post-preamp pickoff. …which kind of sucks. For instance, say I have a stereo keyboard part I want to collapse for a particular song, or automate image in some way, it means both my recording is affected along with any other tie line splits, (in this case a broadcast desk,) in a very destructive way. Is there some reason that pickoff can’t be altered slightly so it comes directly after post-preamp and before Deep Preamp? IE INPUT PATCH–Polarity–(post-preamp pickoff)–Width–Deep Preamp…

It does mean you have to l/r swap whatever is taking that pickoff, (Or set to m/s, inverted polarity L for Broadcast desk, etc.) but removes the potential for bodging up a good recording.

…unless I’ve misunderstood completely? Is it just the mode that gets sent @ pickoff and not necessarily the actual “width?”

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Why not test it? Hook up a stereo source to two inputs, look at the meters on your DAW, then manipulate the width control and see if it affects the Daw tracks.

-Mark

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Any reason you’re not using VSC for your recording feeds?

@ Mark, I was out of town, hadn’t had a chance to test, but yeah: just confirmed it’s only the actual Mode menu that appears to affect the pickoff, not the width percentage.

@ Mr. X – Since we are running a Dante network and need to tie multiple systems redundantly together it made a lot more sense to use Tie Lines as opposed to VSC. (For one, it protects against some idiot just hitting a button and bodging up all the routing suddenly.) The pickoff point is the same regardless of which approach is used.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I would be very surprised (and upset) if the VSC pick-off point were anything other than immediately after the preamp. Would make no sense whatsoever for it to be anywhere else.
    (Same goes for tie lines)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

So what did you find?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.