Post Practice Soundcheck

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Post Practice Soundcheck

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AdamFleming
    AdamFleming
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been looking at getting a QU-16 for our church. With the QU-16 is it possible to record a band during practice as a multitrack recording, then when they have finished up and left we could load the recording back into the mixer and take time to tweak the mix and perfect it? I read somewhere that this is possible, but want to get confirmation as it’s a major feature we are looking for…

Will the tracks still be linked to the correct channels?

Thank you!
    Adam

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes it is possible, but……

I’m not really sure that you can really perfect the mix, as the parts of the band that you hear acoustically will be missing – unless you run a totally silent stage – but even then people at the front can still hear the singers usually.

It is still a useful tool though.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It helps a little but as Mark said you lose the sound from the stage. Even the nat sound of singers not there changes it a lot. Main thing is instruments like acoustic drums, real piano, amps. A totally silent stage still has some sound. It could help for general practice but I wouldn’t lock in a mix based on it.

AdamFleming
    Participant

Hadn’t thought of that actually. We’re usually just an acoustic, bass, cajon and two singers so wouldn’t be that much stage noise, but will definitely keep it in mind.

There are times when it is just myself singing with an acoustic guitar so even just to get some kind of mix is good as usually there is no one doing sound so I would just have to guess what the levels should be!

Thanks guys

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

and don’t forget the major difference between empty and crowded room.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

It’s a really useful training aid – and is better than nothing, but he band need to stick around and do some proper setup sometimes…

AdamFleming
    Participant

This is probably off topic, but are there any ways to compensate for the effect of people entering a room and changing the acoustic of the room?

I find that the low end is affected a lot when people enter a room, would a good solution be to turn up the low-end frequencies more than you would when the room is empty so once people come in then it balances out?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Experience, and that tends to be room specific…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Too many variables…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Rent-a-crowd maybe?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

36 cats and a shop-vac.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.