Post Fader Input Metering

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Post Fader Input Metering

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dean Dean 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Unless I am missing something, I cannot achieve post-fade metering on input channels from the metering page/custom metering pages. I’ve seen a post from the iLive forum from several years back with a similar request, but no mention anywhere else. All of the pre-fade options make sense setting up for shows, but come showtime it’s much easier to mix post-fade for balancing many inputs.

Profile photo of Loloverde
    Loloverde
    Participant

You have to push the Setup button.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Loloverde-

Per the firmware documentation:

Hold down Setup and touch anywhere in the Inputs or Mix meter tab to set the associated source point. This will affect the Surface LED meters too. Options available for Inputs are Post Trim, Post Gate/PEQ, Post Compressor, Post Delay. Options available for Mixes are Post Trim, Post Insert Return, Post PEQ, Post GEQ, Post Compressor, Post Fader.

Post Fader on inputs is NOT an option through v1.8x.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

+1 for Post Fader input metering. I’ve used consoles in the past that had that option, and I found it to be useful at times.

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

+1

One of the first things I noticed when I got my dLive. Meant to start a feature request. Thanks!

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Before I had my iLives I had a Roland VM-7200 board that had Post-Fade Input display and I found it very useful for checking the balance on things like backup vocals. I’m surprised that boards as sophisticated as the iLive and dLive don’t have this option as it’s probably just a few more lines of code in the OS.

-Mark

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

In a hectic festival situation it happened to me that one channel was distorted even though the level meter didn’t show any overload.
    The answer to the riddle:
    It was a Midas XL3 console whose level meter showed the signal strength at the “PreFade” position. The compressor in the insert was very strongly adjusted by predecessors, so that the signal was strongly limited. But since the insert was before the level meter, I didn’t realize at first glance that the preamp was too high.

From this experience I like consoles that show me the channel levels post-preamp, i.e. pre-everything 😉
    So if there should ever be the possibility to display the levels “PostFade” as well, the option “Post-Preamp” should be kept. Please. 🙂

Another explanation of my thinking:
    In live mode, I have my levels under control during the show so that I don’t need a post-fade display. I can easily check the true volume ratios with my ears.
    What I liked to check again and again are the levels that the musicians give me. Some musicians like to change these levels, sometimes even in critical areas. Especially musicians you don’t know yet can surprise you during the show. In my experience, the keyboard players are the most critical.
    That’s why I always put the Meters on post-preamp.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

the output meters, on the other hand, I like to set to post-fade 🙂

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

strange discussion… if input metering is set to post fader, you can’t see a signal wich is down from a DCA…
    even if it is going nuts on the pre fader monitors

very dangerous…

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Definitely agree about pre-fader for the *on-surface* channel strip led meters. But for custom User Meter UI Panels, we should have the input post-fade option.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

In the other brands implementations of this, the clip/peak lights still work as expected regardless of where the metering is set.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

This is one place where I think the SQ is flawed. My old Presonus board allowed pre or post fader metering with the push of one, clearly labeled and lit up, button. We can’t be without pre-fader metering but post-fader metering is still very useful. I would love to see this with a flashing softkey option that could let us know we are in post-fader mode.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I would also love to see a post HA but pre Trim meter option. When using multiple dLive surfaces it would be very helpful to know what’s happening at the split point.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

Any movement on this issue?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.