Possible SQ7 purchase – Digital IO expansion

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Possible SQ7 purchase – Digital IO expansion

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Hi,

I’m the Sound Engineer at a venue and looking to replace our very tired (sticky faders and non-working user defined keys) LS9. We have 32 x 16 analog snake running from stage to the mix position so the SQ7 looks like it will be a perfect quick drop in replacement/upgrade. If we were to buy the SQ7 then over the following few months we would be keen to take advantage of the extra 16 channels, stereo auxes for IEM, and additional patch points for when we have support bands so we can simply change the routing in the show and no repatching will be required. The addition of digital snakes should be the perfect solution but I just want to confirm the below before investing!

• If we were to continue to use the analog snake but add 1 x DX168 connected to SLink port then we would be able to use all 48 inputs and have 24 outpus (12 stereo)?
    • I can add 2 x DX168:
      SQ7 SLink -> DX168 -> DX168
      and have 64 input patch points (48 can be used at one time) and 32 outputs patch points (26 can be used at one time – 24 for 12 stereo aux and 2 for lr)?
    • If we only used 3 x DX168:
      SQ7 SLink -> DX Hub -> 3 x DX168
      I could ditch the analog snake and have 48 inputs and 24 outputs (10 stereo aux, 2 mono aux and LR)?
    • The max (theoretically, this won’t happen of course!) would be to add 8 x DX168:
      SQ7 SLink -> DX Hub -> 4 x DX168 -> DX168
      Then I would have 160 x 80 (128 x 64 digital plus 32 x 16 analog) patch points?

Does this all look correct?

Profile photo of The Sorcerer
    The Sorcerer
    Participant

Hi Dave,
    I have an SQ7 – and it’s a great bit of kit. Studio environment, although funnily enough am taking it on tour this July to Sevenoaks where it will be used instead on the house LS9 which I’ve used over the last two years at the venue – knowing that the SQ7 will far more suitable for the job in hand, what with a plethoras of head mics and the ability to record 32 channels out, and feed cameras and the like.

The SQ7 has a max input channel count of 48 (32 of which can be the XLRs on the back of the console), and a max bus output count of 16 (give or take a couple extra in other forms), regardless of how you get to those numbers through which ever interfaces. That’s my knowledge anyhow – and forgive me if I’m incorrect. Thus it may not meet the most demanding of circumstances for your needs.

Paul.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

If we were to continue to use the analog snake but add 1 x DX168 connected to SLink port then we would be able to use all 48 inputs and have 24 outpus (12 stereo)?

you will have additional outputs, the AES and the two jacks…

I can add 2 x DX168:
    SQ7 SLink -> DX168 -> DX168
    and have 64 input patch points (48 can be used at one time) and 32 outputs patch points (26 can be used at one time – 24 for 12 stereo aux and 2 for lr)?
    you have 3 Stereo Matrix busses as well
    so in total you can use 32 outputs
    and there are the stereo inputs on the console

If we only used 3 x DX168:
    SQ7 SLink -> DX Hub -> 3 x DX168
    I could ditch the analog snake and have 48 inputs and 24 outputs (10 stereo aux, 2 mono aux and LR)?

that would be possible

The max (theoretically, this won’t happen of course!) would be to add 8 x DX168:
    SQ7 SLink -> DX Hub -> 4 x DX168 -> DX168
    Then I would have 160 x 80 (128 x 64 digital plus 32 x 16 analog) patch points?

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_3_0.pdf

at the end there is a table with the maximum possible

Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Thanks guys, very helpful. Good shout on the other IO I hadn’t considered on the console plus the stereo Matrix buses.
    This looks like the ideal solution without going to dLive money.

Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Sorry, another semi-related question.
    Can the FX Send buses be routed to outputs instead of FX to provide additional Aux if the FX slots aren’t needed?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

no

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.