Possibility to insert hardware compressor for recording

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Possibility to insert hardware compressor for recording

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nanex
    Nanex
    Participant

Hi,
    I just wanted to know if there is any possibility to have something like an insert, where I can use a 1167 or something like that for recording.
    Not only after i recorded it, but I like to work that way as it adds some character to recorded sound of vocals for example.

Is there really only the possibility to ad/da convert the signal multiple times?
    Well, what I was thinking about is going into the preamp channel one then send it to an output and then into the 1176 compressor, from there into preamp 2 and I will record channel 2 in logic.
    But there will be much loose of quality by converting the signal that often. Must be a better workaround for it, I guess?

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

No, there is no other way to hook up an outboard piece of analog gear.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Yes, set up an insert on the channel and then select audio ports for both the output and input of the insert. Connect your compressor to these two ports and the audio from that channel will pass through your compressor.

See page 26 of the SQ Reference Guide 1.3

Profile photo of Nanex
    Nanex
    Participant

well, that is cool! is there no AD/DA convertion or needs the signal to be converted to analog at that point?
    So is the insert really analog or is the signal at the point of the insert already a digital signal?
    And is there a possibility to record the signal after the insert then?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

The insert can be either analog or digital. If you map to analog I/O ports it will be converted back and forth. If you map it to USB or other digital ports, then it won’t go through the conversion process.

You should be able to record the channels POST insert point.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.