POE switch issues ME500

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting POE switch issues ME500

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sparky Sparky 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sparky
    Sparky
    Participant

I have tried 2 switches now including one suggested by another user that he claims works. My problem is, when I connect the switch, the ME500 powers up but no audio passes because the SQ6 shows the connection as unavailable. As soon as connect from the slink option card directly to the ME500, everything works fine. The switch I’m currently trying is a Netgear GS308P.I have tried an Edirol 1008P suggested by another user with the same result. All I can figure is that, since the Netgear switch is a 10/100/1000 switch, as soon as the SQ6 connects, it connects at the highest possible speed and that is not compatible with the Me500 and so the SQ6 see the connection as unavailable. This is the 2nd unmanaged POE switch I have used, both 10/100/1000 and both reacted the same way. I,m I missing something? I just want an inexpensive switch to power 2 ME500’s.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Sparky,

The SLink port automatically detects what is connected using the port speed, so connecting a gigaBit switch to the SLink will identify the connection as gigaACE/GX. The ME system uses the dSnake protocol which uses 100BASE-TX, aka Fast Ethernet, so you will need to force the ports of your switch to Fast Ethernet before connecting to the SQ. If it isn’t an available setting on the switch, try plugging the ME into the switch first before connecting to the SLink port.

You can find more information on this here: https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/connecting-to-the-slink-port

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of Lino
    Lino
    Participant

Just try an Ethernet cable with just Pairs 1+2 (Pins 1,2,3,6) connected between the switch and the Slink-Port. This will force the connection to 100Mbit/s.

Best,
    Lino

Profile photo of Sparky
    Sparky
    Participant

Thanks I’ll try that

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.