POE SWITCH FOR ME-1

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions POE SWITCH FOR ME-1

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zueri Zueri 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

Hi guys
    Would this work with the me-1? Or can ye pick a more suited one from same shop in Ireland! Thanks for all the help this forum is awesome..

https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2145706

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This just has a wall ewart power supply.
    I dont know if this would be able to power multiple modules.
    However I’m watching this posting…
    Also this is a switch.. Is the MU a switch or a hub?

Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

I’m a bit confused as to what you mean by a switch or a hub? I know that the allen heath me-u is a hub! so I need to get a standard POE HUB to use as the allen heath one is very expensive.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

They’ll both be switches I guess, although the ME1 never replies (initial handshake?) so collisions shouldn’t happen anyway.

Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

could you pick one from the link in my earlier post that would work with the me-1? I’m still not sure. thanks

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Unless you have other plans for it I’d use the A&H one…

Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

I am looking for an alternative to the Allen Heath me-u hub which is very expensive here.

Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant

can anybody help me out..

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Ernie

We have a knowledge base article covering this issue here: https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/702/175/me-1-compatibility-with-a-third-party-switch.

there’s a similar thread here where another user recommends a particular switch: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/me1-system-and-standard-poe-switch.

hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of ernie
    ernie
    Participant
    Profile photo of tylermartin86
    tylermartin86
    Participant

I purchased one of these for our ME-1 setup.

My draw to this one was that it was absolutely silent. Some POE switches have fans in them that get quite loud. If you calculate the wattage, this should be able to handle up to 6 ME-1 devices. I currently only have 5 plugged in though. The ME-1 units are not gigabit and cannot take advantage of those speeds, but I did want the gigabit throughput. The switch can be managed, but it doesn’t have to be. It worked for me right out of the box. I also purchased something just like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131494003345?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Because I wanted to run shielded ethercon cables to the ME-1 units.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Ernie

I’m only going on what the user in the other thread said, so it’s hard for me to be definitive. As for the connections, yes, you would connect to the ‘Monitors’ port of the AR2412.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I suggest to read the specs and find a dealer that helps with the equipment and understand the problem,
    than the dealer can have a new customer for next years… maybe…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Or take the kit into the shop!

Profile photo of Zueri
    Zueri
    Participant

Or just ask me as I wrote the answer in the Edimax topic ;-). Yes, just plug a cable to the AR Monitor port and then to any of the Edimax ports. Each ME1 to another switch port and everything runs fine. We use it for 4 ME1s without trouble.

The Edimax has an internal power supply and (in my case) rack mounts for 19″ cases. It is also passive cooled (no noise). And I’m not working for them 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.