plugins live mix latency

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions plugins live mix latency

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ehabmxd Ehabmxd 4 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ehabmxd
    Ehabmxd
    Participant

hello
    I am very beginner i have SQ5 A&H And laptop Dell XPS 15 32GB Ram , i7

I would like to use plugins in live mix without any delay, latency.. and the same time i want to record all the tracks with Cubase 10.5 pro with the same laptop I have two questions first, is it possible to use the plugins from the Cubase without any delay, latency?

Secondly, can i use LP without any delay,latency ..

is it possible to use the plugins real-time and record the tracks with out these plugins ? I read a lot and found that I must buy RME Digiface Dante or focusrite rednet Dante.. to connect the mixer to RME or rednet as an interface for my laptop ..

Will one of these devices will solve the latency and what is the proposed device? Previously, I would have purchased the Waves card with waves server..

But now I intend to buy a Dante card..
    Is the Dante Card the right choice? Do I need other devices ?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

no latency is not possible, even the SQ introduces latency
    it’s very low, but it’s there

the Laptop introduces more latency and the Dante network as well
    and don’t forget the plugins and Cubase…

for live recording it’s no problem

doing live recording and plugins on the same computer is not a good idea

Profile photo of Ehabmxd
    Ehabmxd
    Participant

thank u steffen

What are your suggestion
    the USB better than dante ?
    i need an USB audio interface ?

I have also read that using a Waves card without native (without the waves server) is better for transfer than a Dante card and I don’t know what is true

Profile photo of Ehabmxd
    Ehabmxd
    Participant

i found this video but i dont know how i make this setup

Profile photo of Ehabmxd
    Ehabmxd
    Participant

I would like to use my laptop and I have no problem if some devices are required for example DSP External or any audio interface to get low latency ..(RME , Focusrite)

Is it better to use a( USB ?or Dante card ?) and is there a device that helps improve the latency on my laptop?

if i use dante what the right device should i buy .? if i use usb what the right device should i buy ?

what Softwares you recommend for live plugins and multitrack recording DAW

Is it possible to use the plugins from Live professor and record in Cubase or any DAW on the same laptop?

Is it possible to get the best results for recording and effects from the same device with low latency?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

What kind of plugins do you want to use? What do you miss desperately on the SQ? What plugins and other software/hardware for the usage with that plugins do you already own?
    If you want to use effects like Reverb, Delays or similar it would work. If you want to use that plugins for channel processing for FOH sound it might work, but if you want it in your processing path before you use it on monitors, especially inear, it won’t work.
    It is not only the basic latency form the SQ to the laptop and back. No matter if you want to use USB, Dante or Waves native (without a soundgrid server), there is a latency which is high enough to cause problems especially on monitoring. But do not forget that every plugin needs some time for calculation and that means that every of these plugins adds extra latency
    To give you some overview please have a look on https://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/plugin-latency. That is the list of one vendor, but others will offer you same information (more or less).
    The only way imho to use something like low latency is to run a soundgrid server, but this will reduce the possible plugins for that to those which are provided by Waves.
    And if you run Windows on your PC you can use the Soundcard (USB, Dante or Waves) only with one application at the same time. It is not possible to use it, let’s say, for the Liveprofessor as well as for a DAW for recording. But you can use for instance the USB interface for recording and Dante for plugins because they are using different software drivers. But keep in mind that the two tasks will cause extra load on the laptop and this usually means higher latency or less plugins.

Profile photo of Ehabmxd
    Ehabmxd
    Participant

thank u alot mr mfk
    i understand now alot of things

I would like to add effects that i used in the studio at live but it is not a lot
    SSL, Abbey Road reverb, sound toys , repeater, cla 2, vallhala , reverb some EQs , comp .. (For 12 tracks only every channel 3 plugins only or 4)
    I am afraid that there will be a a lot of latency
    That is why I thought there is a external device that I could do so comfortably on a laptop

But now I may work the way you told me to use Dante for Live professor and USB for Cubase Or vice versa
    it mean that I don’t need any audio interfaces? the audio interfaces will not help my laptops ?

I had an idea to buy a waves server, but I found that the server is a very limited and they only specialize in the plugins of waves
    And when I saw the youtube video that I sent up, I thought I could use the original cubase effects and I don’t mind if i can ..

I do not want to buy a waves server. I would like better device than it will helps my laptop. and can be used for multiple uses
    not in Waves plugins only.

Best regards

SteffenR
    Participant

but this will reduce the possible plugins for that to those which are provided by Waves.

there are some 3rd party plugins that work with soundgrid native V9
    https://www.waves.com/support/soundgrid-compatible-third-party-plugins

I would like to use my laptop and I have no problem if some devices are required for example DSP External or any audio interface to get low latency ..(RME , Focusrite)

and there are some device available that add very less latency to a system
    https://www.uaudio.de/uad-accelerators/uad2-live-rack.html
    https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/rackmount/harmonizer/h9000

SteffenR
    Participant

btw the built in interface (USB-B) works for bus processing and reverbs or delays relativly good
    use a USB 2.0 port if possible
    if not good luck

Profile photo of Ehabmxd
    Ehabmxd
    Participant

Very grateful to you for all this explanation ..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.