Please SQ in box form

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Please SQ in box form

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Geoffthis
    Geoffthis
    Participant

Can we *please* get the SQ5 in a box form? Like the Qu-Pac? Most places I mix are short of real estate, and I don’t have room to carry a full size desk with faders….
    Please!
    Plus y’all would sell so damn many you’d have trouble keeping up with demand!!!

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

+1
    Can’t understand why it hasn’t been done already! It’s common sense to produce SQ-Pac!

Profile photo of Tatsuya Nakamura
    Tatsuya Nakamura
    Participant

+1

The SQ-Pack (SQ-Rack), which is in the request phase, will be useful in tight offstage spaces where installation is difficult.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The footprint difference between a SQ5 and any stage box is negligible however the versatile benefits of tactile controls in most world class SR applications is obvious for many activities. Bottom line: put the SQ5 down on the floor as if it were a stage box and mix away with your I-Pad. It might be a good idea to fully shape the mix with the unwanted tactile controls before the show since several critical set-up functions are not available with the I-Pad. In the event this protocol is not needed or acceptable buy a QUsb that will do exactly what you want to do. We have beat this request to death over and over in the past and IMO, A&H have made an appropriate decision to offer their best world class processing only with tactile controls with ancillary Wifi controls for both entry level up to the flag ship D-Live and all FPGA offerings in between.
    If and when A&H determines a footprint and function alteration to the entry level SQ5 is needed it should probably be toward development of a new small footprint mini Avantis, offering more efficient processing and expanded I/O accommodations for extended deployment of expansion stage boxes. IMO A&H has a perfect entry level footprint in the SQ5 that doesn’t need to be altered or replaced and apparently sales in the market place are in agreement.
    Hugh

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Personally, I’d love to see an SQ version of Behringer’s Midas M32C. Mixer brain with all the control ports and a bit of mix position I/O. Leverage my stageboxes.

Profile photo of iandrewc
    iandrewc
    Participant

Agreed, we had to buy a full SQ-5 to have as a backup for our SQ-6 when it needed to be sent out for service. The QU line isn’t helpful as we can’t connect our QU-SB to the GX4816 stage rack, nor are the show saves compatible. It would’ve been nice to save a few bucks to have a “headless” console for backup or smaller uses that want feature compatibility with other SQ but could live without the control surface for a finite time period.

Profile photo of Alec
    Alec
    Participant

Hugh said:

We have beat this request to death over and over in the past and IMO, A&H have made an appropriate decision to offer their best world class processing only with tactile controls with ancillary Wifi controls for both entry level up to the flag ship D-Live and all FPGA offerings in between.

Not quite so, while D-Live comes as a Mixrack & Controller system, there’s nothing to stop you going out with just the Mixrack.

Nottooloud said

Personally, I’d love to see an SQ version of Behringer’s Midas M32C. Mixer brain with all the control ports and a bit of mix position I/O. Leverage my stageboxes.

I’m with you. While I’d assumed that what we’d want is an SQ5 with no control surface, a brains-only box makes more sense, as it has the flexibility of using whatever IO you already have.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Alec, there are several d-live mix racks that require a separate controller that all offer tactile controls. Perhaps you will explain exactly how an A&H mix rack will function with out an a&h proprietary controller.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Alec, there are several d-live mix racks that require a separate controller that all offer tactile controls. Perhaps you will explain exactly how an A&H mix rack will function with out an a&h proprietary controller.
    Hugh

NONE of the D-Live Mixracks require the use of a physical DLive Surface. They can all be controlled with nothing more than the DLive Director software running on a computer. You can also use the A&H IP6/8 for some small physical fader options with or without a DLive Surface.

In addition, there are other third party solutions that work as well. There is now a DLive version available for the popular Mixing Station app. The app natively supports MIDI devices and it is trivial to plug in a motorized MIDI fader bank like a Behringer X-Touch Extender or Waves Fit Controller to the device running the Mixing Station app to have physical faders as well. Personally I’ve use Mixing Station running on a cheap Android tablet with a Behringer X-Touch Extender to control a variety of A&H consoles.

Long story short, there are plenty of ways to control any of the DLive MixRacks without having to spend the money on a DLive Surface.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Brian, I stand corrected!
    Hugh

Profile photo of Yoely
    Yoely
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The OP never indicated any intention in working with a very expensive D-Live Mix rack: Alec in his post #112666 introduced a mix rack option. Given the fact I have never owned or operated a mix rack I was not familiar with their possibilities or limitations. I do own and work with a DX168 & DX32 expansion stage boxes that rely upon proprietary A&H XCVI core processing with a controlling desk, D-Live, Avantis or SQ. In any event the SQ5, that is relatively close to the same foot print as a proposed “SQsb”, would be a much smaller and vastly less expensive input tool than any of the subject Mix Racks: and the OP would need only an I pad for a control device.
    Hugh

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.