Please add some missing parts to DCA Spilling Feature on SQ Series

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Please add some missing parts to DCA Spilling Feature on SQ Series

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of larchsound larchsound 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dilettant
    Dilettant
    Participant

DCA Spilling introduced with Firmware 1.5 is a great Feature which eases up SQ Usage a lot. Thanks a lot for implementing that.

But it looks a bit incomplete – there are some caveats that should not be hard to solve in future firmware releases. My suggestion:

– the Status of “DCA Spill on Select” should be a switch somewhere in the Console Setup so one can permanently activate it without wasting a Soft Key.

– As well it should be possible to activate DCA Spill on Select in the App.

– as well, “DCA Spill on Select” Status should be a possible Part of Scenes and have a switch in local and gobal Scene Filters. There is space on the Menu screens for that so it should not be too hard to add a control on the touch screen.

– now it’s mainly impossible to change DCA Membership when DCA Spill on Sel is active.

Should be possible to do that by first selecting a DCA Master and then hold the “Assign” Button. In that case, the layer assignments could temporarily switch back to layer mode as long as the Button is held and allow to use “Select” Buttons to change Membership to the selected DCA. It should also be possible to jump to all layers while doing that and to select Bus Masters as DCA Members by pressing their Master Button.

Profile photo of Alec
    Alec
    Participant

the Status of “DCA Spill on Select” should be a switch somewhere in the Console Setup so one can permanently activate it without wasting a Soft Key

Absolutely! I spent ages looking for this switch before it eventually dawned on me that it wasn’t available in setup. It’s quite bizarre and counter-intuitive to have a setting that’s configurable only via a softkey.

As well it should be possible to activate DCA Spill on Select in the App

Indeed. Presumably, if the setting above was implemented, then it’d follow into the app.

Should be possible to do that by first selecting a DCA Master and then hold the “Assign” Button. In that case, the layer assignments could temporarily switch back to layer mode as long as the Button is held and allow to use “Select” Buttons to change Membership to the selected DCA. It should also be possible to jump to all layers while doing that and to select Bus Masters as DCA Members by pressing their Master Button.

This is a method familiar to X32 users, and is quite intuitive. In my early days with SQ, I could never find the DCA assigment section in a hurry. It’s much more obvious now, and quite quick to use. But the process of using the Select key would still be perfectly reasonable. Even more helpfully, it could display the DCA Assign window while this was in operation.

Profile photo of Nolan
    Nolan
    Participant

I like all of these suggestions and agree about the waste of a softkey, especially as an SQ5 user. 🙂

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi everyone,

In my understanding the softkeys are like shortcuts. They offer a quick and fast way to execute something which is difficult to access fast via the GUI.

As far as I remember, every command assignable to the soft keys also exists in the GUI somewhere.

So why A&H break their own rule and create this spill ON/OFF feature only accessable via softkeys? In many other feature requests the argument of A&H is, to stay in some common concepts, eg.
    – matrix tap of point pre bus processing not possible
    – hpf screen following surface and killing PEQ screen (nonsense)
    – PEQ Encoders are adjusting selected channel, even though the PEQ of an FX Return is shown in the screen

I can understand that argument to follow the design rules in such a strict way, even if the comfort way would avoid this behaviour.

But WHY was this Spill feature implemented only as softkey?
    Is there any sense to do so?

So for me finally also

+1

This needs to be changed, the same with the points listed above…

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Apparently this thread has raised a question that A&H personnel do not have an easy answer for.
    Hugh

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@ioTon

You’re correct that we do self impose rules in order to try and be consistent, but everything on SoftKeys also being accessible via GUI isn’t one of them.
    Other functions only available on SoftKeys include MIDI notes and program changes, Talkback, PAFL clear and Global tap tempo.

Your suggestion for DCA spill to be accessible via GUI has been noted, as have other suggestions (HPF screen doesn’t follow surface! and PEQ encoders) you mention from other threads.
    Every suggestion is in fact noted and discussed, though of course with finite resource, not all will be implemented or may just not be implemented immediately.

@Nolan – I am also an SQ-5 user, note that there are an extra 8 SoftKeys available in the app and you can assign one of these to DCA Spill on Sel to keep your physical SoftKeys free for other stuff.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi Keith,
    Thanks again for your precise answer!

We can understand that A&H won’t reveal in detail which features the new firmware will offer.

But we A&H lovers will stay hopeful still after discussing this features about 1 and 1/2 year now, that they’ll find their way into some future firmware! 😉

greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

I´m very sure, they won´t let us down!

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

+1 to the generalities listed here

I like the idea of holding down sel on a DCA brings up the assign page. Holding assign is cool too. Though I’d rather it be a toggle.

Personally, I like dca spill on softkey as it’s a ‘oh crap’ button for getting out of a DCA spill; still, makes sense for other users.

Profile photo of larchsound
    larchsound
    Participant

+1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.