Playback when running "surfaceless"

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Playback when running "surfaceless"

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Anyone use any cool tricks to allow music playback through a MixRack from a remote computer running director or iPad running MixPad? I just realized that without a surface, I have to eat up a couple of channels and run signal from FOH to the mix rack to play back from my phone or iPad. Be nice if there were an easy way to “stream” the audio back from director or MixPad (running wirelessly).
    Obviously there’s complex ways to do this, but wondering if anyone has a slick way to pull this off?

You could add a bluetooth interface to inputs @ mixrack, or take input from an i/o slot if you’ve got a dante card or something like that. I run Spotify via dante inputs, and occasionally run audio cue playback via Live Professor this way as well. I’d be hesitant to rely on a bluetooth connection though, and would absolutely favor just adding some playback via i/o card on the DSP host. (Mine is a new mac mini i7 running Live Professor, Reaper, and Spotify simultaneously.)

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

I use the Dante way as well. Haven’t found any other reliable solution yet.
    If you use Dante to record simultaneously, parallel playback can be a bit tricky on Windows systems (multi ASIO setup with DanteVirtualSoundcard) but is do-able. Much easier on Mac systems, though

Profile photo of Johnny
    Johnny
    Participant

We use a chromecast hifi, works like a charm 🙂

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

But doesn’t chromecast rely on wifi?
    Would be a bit too unsafe for my taste. Even for walk in music. I would hate to get interrupted because of wifi hiccups while I am at catering, really

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Interesting. I do want Wi-Fi. I think using an AirPlay receiver would be a great way to do it. If I use a Raspberry Pi, it can be made to be a AirPlay receiver.
    I’d also like to see if the Pi can play songs locally off a USB stick but be controlled remotely by Wi-Fi. That would be the best of both worlds!
    This might be a good solution!

Thanks for the ideas.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

This RPi looks promising indeed!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

There’s a couple more which might even be better…

Volumio
    MoOde Audio

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok, so I ordered the HiFiBerry DAC Pro XLR and the metal case. I already had a Raspberry PI 3. The HiFiBerry stuff arrived yesterday. After putting it together, I tried PiMusicbox, and then MoOde. I recommend MoOde. (They’re both free and I doubt I’ll try Volumio unless I find something MoOde can’t do)

I have to say, this is unbelievaby awesome!
    After a little configuring, I just connect the 2 XLRs to my MixRack, plug in the power and it’s ready. I can stream audio to it via Bluetooth or Airplay, I can control it from any browser, I can connect it to my network, if there’s internet it has tons of internet radio stations, it plays from attached usb flash drives or even hard drives, or from the uSD card! It can connect to your network or internet wired or wirelessly, or it can be it’s own AP. Or both!
    It’s small and boots up very quickly. I may even add a little battery pack inside to make it even more convenient.

So, in addition to being the slickest way to play music or audio with a surfaceless setup, it’s also going to be amazing for guest who need to play their tracks. Just Airplay or Bluetooth the music to the player! This is going to be so handy, I feel I need to donate something to MoOde for all the effort they’ve put into making this great software and putting it out there for free!

Profile photo of Simon
    Simon
    Participant

Hi Folks, I know this is an older post but I have been trying to get a similar setup running.
    Regarding the reference From Mr.X above to Rune Audio as a possible solution, I encountered the following issues:
    1) On a RPi4 and 3B+, I could not get Rune to play audio using my QU-Sb as a USB audio device. On a RPi2 I could get playback but the mp3 files played at about 10x the normal speed.
    2) I could not get Rune to connect to the Access point in my stage rack (Apple AirPort) that we use to run Qu-You. I can’t confirm my suspicion but I think it’d because Rune can’t see the internet from the access point so it won’t connect. Some folks from the Rune site dispute this but the fact is it won’t connect, when every other app will!!!!

I’m going to try Volumio next, I’ll ley you know how I go.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Just use MoOde. There’s no reason to look at anything else.

If you need any help getting MoOde up and running, let me know. It’s a game-changer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.