Play USB multitrack and record 2 tracks

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Play USB multitrack and record 2 tracks

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of trickytrev trickytrev 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of veldman
    veldman
    Participant

I made a multitrack recording of a band during a performance.
    In the studio I play this on the SQ5 and mix it.
    Of course I want to record the result.
    But how can I play a USB multitrack and record the result as a 2-track recording?
    Preferably digital of course.

I have the multitrack on a USB stick, but unfortunately I cannot use both USB connections at the same time (USB stick in the front and the recording laptop on the USB at the back).
    I also tried to play and record to and from the USB at the same time, but that is not possible.
    Now I record the result analogously, but there must be another way, right?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Have you tried it, playing back from the SQ Driver USB stick and recording to the computer via the USB B connector?

I know you can not record to the SQ drive and stream audio to the USB B at the same time.
    Set the record out to be the USB B, patch the stereo mix to the tracks you want in the PC.

I just took a quick glance at the manual and could not find anything about playing back from one USB port and recording on another.

Profile photo of veldman
    veldman
    Participant

Thank you for your response.
    I understand you can only use 1 port at a time.
    Has to do with the fact that there is only 1 USB driver in the SQ5.
    I was also thinking about DAW. But is that mainly an input for the mixing desk?
    I prefer to make a multi-record on a stick (speed of the stick is high enough) instead of on an external computer.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

SQ USB ports (SQ-Drive and USB-B) are currently mutually exclusive, so it is like having a big switch that decides between them for both recording and playback.

The easiest way to achieve a mixdown here (and keeping everything digital as you want) would be to connect the drive with the recordings to a computer.
    Use a DAW to import the recorded WAV’s to separate tracks and route these back to separate channels on the SQ.
    Then have a stereo channel set to record in the DAW, routed from the main LR.
    This way you can make use of all the processing, summing and workflow of the SQ and record a mixdown alongside the individual tracks.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

SQ USB ports (SQ-Drive and USB-B) are currently mutually exclusive,

Is that “currently” significant? Hopefully? Qu runs both at the same time, no?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@nottooloud

As always, we can’t promise anything just in case it’s not possible, but yes Qu does allow recording to both simultaneously and we’d love to add this capability to SQ 🙂

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of trickytrev
    trickytrev
    Participant

Looking forward to the capability in a future release (hope it can be realised) 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.