Planned SQ5 setup with ME-500s

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Planned SQ5 setup with ME-500s

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GaryW GaryW 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

Towards mid-year I’m planning on getting a SQ-5 mixer with either two DX168 or DX164-W expanders.
    This is for a semi-permanent venue, the two expanders to be mounted stage left and right.

I currently have a single ME-1 and am planning on adding four or more ME-500’s.

In the “Supported SLink Port Connections” document, it explicitly shows: SQ5 -> AB168 -> AB168 -> ME-1/500 etc
    But it doesn’t specifically show: SQ5 -> DX168 -> DX168 -> ME-1 -> ME-500 etc?

Can I assume that the second scenario will work?

Also, just to complicate things, could I put a PoE switch after the last expander for star connecting the ME’s?

Profile photo of Gogos
    Gogos
    Participant

Hi Gary,

you can´t connect a DX168 with the ME-1. The DX works on 96kHz and the ME-… doesn´t support it. So you can only choose for example the AR2412 that works on 48 kHz for work with the personal Monitor System from A&H! This is a very big angry trouble from A&H !! Bring us new Mixers with 96kHz and Stagebox but not working with their Personalmonitor Mixers…that´s very fine ! 🙁

Profile photo of Gogos
    Gogos
    Participant

Hi Gary,

sorry my english is not so good. Maybe you understand my post wrong, because i write it´s not work on 96kHz ? Of course you can connect the ME-.. Mixers directly on a SQ Mixer, that will work. But not at the DX168, because not possible to connect there.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

have a look here
    https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/sq-6/#tab4
    and download the document “SQ-6 V1.1.0 SLink Connections”.
    there is very nicely described what works.

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

As Gogos pointed out, the Personal mixers run on 48kHz (dSnake) whereas sLink (DX– products) run at 96kHz only. [ACE & Dante & Waves Soundgrid are ToBeDetermined (kHz)]

At present, you can have a 96kHz digital snake [NO ME’s] OR 48kHz digital snake & ME’s.

In the future the sLink expansion card will allow for a digital snake & a ME1 connection [local (sLink) port running as dSnake (48kHz) & expansion card (sLink) running at 96kHz for DX168 or DX32 or DXHUB].

I applaud A&H for the interconnectivity of the SQ-x series of boards, but I think a 96kHz digital snake option that works with ME’s is a blatant omission [perhaps it is in development].

I really think an extra port (ME_Link)=[dSnake] on the board would have been a better idea, putting the ME1/500/Hub on their own dSnake network at all times [either that or the new sLink card should have two ports on it, one sLink (96kHz and one dSnake (48kHz)]. They might come out with a sLink card for the ME-U with pass through that would be perfect. I really dunno how they’re gonna do it but it needs to be done for those that want personal mixers & dLive/96kHz preamps. Otherwise 96kHz is just another gimmick like everything else is these days.

My thread talks about this.

SQ -> ME1/500 Connectivity

Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

Cheers for the input guys, thanks!

It does look like each of the DM0, DM32, DM48 and DM64 all have dedicated ME-1/500 48khz ethernet port. All options I suspect are fairly expensive!

When I went to the A&H Qu-series, I was really surprised at how much better the mic pre’s sounded and how much hotter I could run signal into them.

I am drawn to the DX168 (or DX164-W) as I am assuming they use dLive class pre-amps, A&H’s top of the line pre-amps.

Has anyone done any listening tests / comparisons between A&H’s Qu, SQ and dLive pre-amps?

lightingman117
    Participant

I was just talking to my buddy about the x32 vs dl32 preamps.

Last reply by Tim:
    https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,165374.msg1528260.html#msg1528260

3rd reply by Tim:
    https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,162417.msg1494328.html#msg1494328

Basically you can’t separate the analog preamp section from the rest of the board. The dLive is the best technically (objectively) sounding console on the market today; that’s not JUST because of its preamps.

Good, Better, Best. [Qu, SQ, dLive]

Yes DX168 uses the dLive preamps @ 96kHz. It will sound better than QU; but it’s just a PART of the ecosystem.

Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

Good points Lightingman117.
    Thanks for the links too.

lightingman117
    Participant

I forgot to mention that the 96bit accumulator is a big part of the dLive’s sound quality and SQ shares it.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,165251.msg1524135.html#msg1524135

Info on accumulator & floating vs integer math
    https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,165379.msg1524844.html#msg1524844

Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

I’ve gone ahead and added some ME-500’s to my current Qu-SB setup.
    Will watch with interest as the time draws near to add a SQ-5 into the mix.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.