Ping-Pong Delay

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Ping-Pong Delay

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of D.J.
    D.J.
    Participant

This was a simple preset within the included FX engines on my Qu-32 (with adjustable parameters), but I can’t find anything comparable within the delay FX on my Sq-6. Am I missing it, is it not there, or can someone comment on how to configure this stereo (left to right) ping-pong style delay within the existing delay module on the Sq-6? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Can you take a look at the Delay settings on the screen of the QU, then enter those settings in to the SQ’s Delay?

Or (if the Delay is anything like the iLive) try:

-Stereo Delay (link off)
    -One Delay time half the second delay time (250 and 500 ms.)
    -Width at full

-Mark

Profile photo of D.J.
    D.J.
    Participant

Mark–Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I sold the Qu in order to upgrade to the Sq. I never would have thought that the new mixer would be missing some basic FX that the old series came with, so I didn’t write down any settings from the FX on the Qu. I have also tried your suggestion on every stereo delay that ships with the SQ and cannot duplicate the ping-pong (L-R) effect. I can get the exact effect I need, just not alternating between left and right (it comes out both sides simultaneously). I have unlinked the sides just as you say, have the stereo width at full and played with every other parameter, but nothing makes the delay ping-pong between left and right. I had hoped Alex or Keith from A&H would have chimed in either with what I need to do to achieve this, or with a note that this preset is coming in a firmware update. Hopefully someone else will see this; I know I’m not the only guy using an SQ to run sound for cover bands performing “Crazy Train” and “Comfortably Numb”!!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi DJ,

There is no ‘Ping Pong’ delay preset on the SQ (or Qu in fact!). The closest preset is ‘Stereo Tap Wide’ which, as Mark says, uses unlinked taps with approximately 500ms and 300ms timing, and width set to full.

If you are already using these settings, be sure you are returning on a stereo channel (all FX returns are stereo). i.e. If you insert this effect on a mono channel, it can only be mono!

Hope this helps.

Keith.

Profile photo of Ethan
    Ethan
    Participant

I’m not at my SQ right now but I think the Vocal Doubler effect has some what of a left to right panning. When I listen to it, the doubling sound moves from the left to the right and back. Again, I’m not at the board so I don’t know the exact effect name.

Profile photo of D.J.
    D.J.
    Participant

Keith–Thanks for responding; you had it right. On my old Qu, there were only 4 FX engines, and I had the delay I am looking for set up on one of the FX returns (which are stereo). On the SQ I was attempting to use this effect as an insert on a mono vocal channel, which obviously did not work. Once I moved it to one of the stereo FX return slots in the rack, I was able to manipulate the parameters to get the effect I was looking for. Thanks again for the input, and for continuing to help us make full use of this great product!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi DJ,

Lucky guess! glad you got it working!

Cheers,

Keith.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.