Pick Up Point in dynEQ with EXTERNAL source

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Pick Up Point in dynEQ with EXTERNAL source

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Hey there, I’m using the dyn8 of my Guitar-Channel to filter out some mids when my leadvocal is singing… but when I mute the Leadvocal – i still get the “external input” even if the channel is open.. so i guess the Pickup point is pre Fader and pre Mute? Are there some settings to change that? Hopefully not the “global” direct output routing.. i need to record my shows “post preamp” so no chance to change that!

Same thing i recognised some weeks ago when I was setting up a ducker on the background music.. so everytime the MC needs to say something the backgroundmusic should drop by 3-6dB… but even if i muted the MC, the sidechain still got feeded by the Input Channel… only solution was to use a group as sidechchain signal and routed the MC to that group.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

Hi,

as a first solution you could take an AUX and put the corresponding trigger channel into it. if this channel is muted, then nothing goes into the AUX anymore. and you can then use the AUX bus for your sidechain.
    as a side effect, it would even be possible to use several channels as trigger signal. i just can’t think of any spontaneous application for it 😉

of course, there would still be the solution via the “Global Direct” path: set the pick-up point post Delay there, then the mute should also be included. and for the recordings you can use the Tielines, they are always independent of any processing.

but of course: it would be nicer in this case if the mute would also be active in the normal sidechain via channel.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Hey Wolfgang
    Yeah you’re right! For first fix I used a Group where I assigned the MC to it and used this Group as trigger signal.
    Just checked if the “global direct output routing” does affect this behaviour when using the MC Input channel as trigger: unfortunately not! Even if I set it to “post delay”: the mute botton doesn’t stop the signal feeding the sidechain!
    @A&H: Is this an issue or does anyone else like to have it working like that?

Kind regards from Switzerland

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

when you look into the block diagram, you can see that the sidechain trigger input of gate and compressor is clearly ahead of the mute. this obviously has nothing to do with the adjustable tap points of “Global Direct Out” or “Aux”.
    if the trigger signal arrives here the same way from another channel, and i suppose it does, then it’s logical that the mute of the trigger channel doesn’t work here.
    i just checked at Yamaha, in the block diagram for the CL. there the sidechain also seems to be connected before the mute. at Digico i haven’t found a block diagram yet…
    But this seems to be solved with other consoles as well, and that was no different with the analog consoles in the past. There, the side-rack devices were usually connected directly to each other, so that the mute of the console did not work here either.

you can also take a positive view of the matter: by the different possibilities of assignment you also get a corresponding function selection. so either directly without mute, or indirectly as discussed about groups or aux, because there are some buses in the dLive. and for your example it’s completely sufficient.

i would also like it better if the mute would grab here. 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.