Phase problems with the audio-groups

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Phase problems with the audio-groups

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Detonator Detonator 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Patrick L.
    Patrick L.
    Participant

I had a great first gig with my new Qu24.
    But what I have noticed that I once I assign an audio channel to a group a kind of phase problem occur.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known problem?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Sounds like you got a double path going. Channel to LR then channel to group to LR.

Unselect the channel(s) from the LR.

Your path should be Channel> Group> LR.

See if that fixes it.

Profile photo of Patrick L.
    Patrick L.
    Participant

Thank you, GCumbee!

Your advice has solved my problem.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…this is probably one of the big differences when coming from analogue desks, where such a combination works well.
    Thought about if this may be worth a feature request to align at least the internal signal paths, but realizing all the EQ processing inside a group that’s probably not possible at all (not mentioning the optional delay in each group).

Does anybody know how other digital consoles (GLD, iLive etc.) behave in this respect?

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Andreas –

The only consoles in the entry price level that I am aware of that are phase coherent THROUGH THE MIX BUSSES are the x32/m32 series from Music Group. I have no info on the just announced/released models from Allen & Heath, Yamaha, Avid, Roland, Digico, etc., but on most digital consoles, paralleling a signal through different “length” pathways (ie., #1 straight to LR, #2 through a mixbuss then to LR) introduces latency which causes the “phasing” effect on the signal, which is most noticeable in the higher frequencies, such as vocals…) I learned this in 2006 on an LS9.

Even the x32/m32 will suffer this problem if an effect or signal processor such as EQ is INSERTED on one of the paths of a split signal.

-Tim Tyler

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.