Phantom power question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Phantom power question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ShantyMan ShantyMan 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hello!

I have question about phantom power on Qu (or any digital mixers). When you link 2 channels into 1 Stereo channels (for keyboards for example) and apply +48V for powering 2ch DI-box, is it applied to both channels or is it somehow different? Is it maybe dangerous for DI if applying +48V on both channels?

Another question: 2 days back, I used 8ch multicore with stagebox on stage and I had 8 condenser mic pluged in (so phantom power on each channel). As I touched stagebox/or cable/or just mic stand slightly signal was peaking on some channels (really audible pops). Multicore is one of the cheapest ones you can get, but that is what I was given – is it multicore fault, or I did something wrong? I solved it by unplugging 3 cables and putting them directly into Qu-16.

Thanks for you help!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If you are using active DI boxes which are sourced by Phantom power, you’ll obviously need to apply Phantom power to each of these channels, same applies for a 2ch DI box, which normally should be just two isolated DI boxes in one case. When linking two channels on the Qu Phantom power is automatically applied to both of them.

Phantom power requires proper cabling, particularly the ground pin. If ground is not properly connected you’ll get exactly what you described (and may feel some prickle in your fingers as well).

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Thanks! So it’s not true (as I heard) that it may cause damage to 2ch DI – but it’s not logical to me. Cables were mine, I never have problems when working with them and I use a lot of condensers sometimes. I really assume it was this really cheap multicore, or something, I don’t know. Thanks for help! 🙂

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You REALLY need to be more specific, particularly when citing equipment used. You say DI but neglect to give brand and model.

ALL DI’s ARE NOT THE SAME.

What may be generally true or true for one piece may not be true for what you’re using.

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

For example, I work a lot with Proel DB2A 2ch active DIbox.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I nearly always recommend reading the manual:

NOTE: DB2-A needs the phantom power from at least one channel, in any case we suggest to send the
    phantom power from both channels if connected: this ensure a second power safety option.

DB2A.1.pdf – User’s Manual English

Profile photo of ShantyMan
    ShantyMan
    Participant

hey
    if the problem is not fixed, pls check out every kabel !
    I had the same probleme if one of the multicore cable was damaged. i.e. short circuit between two lines (1<>2 oder 2<>3)
    sometime it was a broken line

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.