Phantom power on of on soft key

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Phantom power on of on soft key

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of M Van Houten M Van Houten 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of prashant
    prashant
    Participant

Hi there it’s Prashant here wanted to suggest, if possible for qu series press and hold for +48v on screen is very easy but some time as we need to provide phantom for lots of input at time if it’s come on soft key like mute on off then at least we press & hold softkey longer and select individual channel for which we need to provide phantom.
    If it is possible.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

While you request is understood I would ask why you need this ability on going? You typically set phantoms on a setup and they stay for the show or time being. It just seems like something that’s not such a problem when there are so many things that are needed.

Profile photo of prashant
    prashant
    Participant

I thought it because for not to hold a touch screen every time to on off the phantom & once it comes on keys it will be user friendly also

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I can see a possibility of wanting to somehow enable the sel buttons to act as phantom switches – new desk, lots of phantom required…

Not sure how that would be done through the menus though – setting a soft key seems like a fairly long winded way to go…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hard to know Bob where that mindset [soft-key assigned to phantom] comes from However..
    Some older desks had global phantom switch or banks of 4 channel strips.
    Between scenes does that turn on/off phantom?
    I can only assume that changing bands might require a massive shift of different phantoms being activated or not.
    Then if that’s the case surely scenes would enable that?
    Have to be very careful when turning on phantom that all leads and wiring configurations are correct.. or kapowski!!
    Also if its just a QU16 without an iPad that’s a big chunk of soft-keys gone!?

Actually I have re-read the original post.
    I see he is wanting to just hold and soft key and then select the require channels? mmm

Maybe he has a point there?

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I agree with XAPBob. It’s quite a lot of menu jumping to simply assign a soft key to act as a phantom power on/off. It also sounds like it would make it much easier to mis-assign phantom power.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Actually
    I’ve done a U turn on this.
    I can see a place on a QU24/32 for an instant look at what is phantom powered on what channel.
    So in the FOH or LR Master layer a soft-key to have a look and set at what is phantom powered and also another soft-key to view Comp and Gate.
    Pity there isn’t more softkeys?
    Oh give me a DLive! 😐

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I kind of think that a long press on the ‘preamp’ button (USB selector) could do this – but it’s somewhat risky from a UI perspective.

Should always have been phantom rather than USB, that button

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Should always have been phantom rather than USB, that button

Yes I agree.
    Maybe that could be changed?
    There is no actual writing on the surface [at the gain knob] saying USB? There is the USB symbol!
    It nearly makes more sense to me to go into the function key to set in/out preferences and there… You see every channel!

Just dreaming~!
    wait for the feedback….

Profile photo of fxk
    fxk
    Participant

Welcome to the space between the rock and hard place where I live.

I am unlucky enough to have one of the early QU16 mixers that exhibit phantom pop pulse on all channels, muted or not. (reared its ugly head with latest version of the firmware) So don’t hot plug phantom, but make it a royal PITA to turn it off. There is an “optional” fix that is outside of warranty for my mixer for which A&H will not pay…

I wrote A&H about phantom pop even when muted and was chastised by both A&H and this community for not turning phantom power off before connecting or disconnecting an input.

Consider a open mic or festival situation where one is changing stages once every 15 minutes or every hour. Going through channel by channel and doing the long-hold phantom off really eats into the changeover times. (needless to see my fat fingers cover the button AND INDICATOR making it all that more a pain) Saving a scene with phantom for the various acts is a plus, but only if one can kill the phantom in-between.

Two options:
    1. Being able to assign phantom on-off to the select key would allow a FAST way that could easily be incorporated into a fast workflow.

2. Assigning a assignable button to global phantom on/off would be a great fix. Global off, global on based on channel configuration.

One or the other, please, if it is INSISTED that the archaic practice of killing phantom when reassigning inputs between stage changes.

Yeah, there are workarounds. Use the AB168, where hot plugging the phantom does not cause the pop. Load a generic scene that has all phantom turned off and then load the desired scene (hope no one os on an announce mic during the two scene switching)

frank

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Long press on the Preamp button converting the sel buttons to phantom indicators still seems the most ‘obvious’ solution to me.

It also makes a good way to visually check the state of all channels…

Does QuControl not give an interface for this now? It’s not ideal, being slightly separated from the desk, but it could provide a good number of phantom switches on screen?

Profile photo of fxk
    fxk
    Participant

Hmmm… going to have to look at QuControl to see if that is an option. Good thinking.

Profile photo of Valentyn L
    Valentyn L
    Participant

+1 to “Assigning a assignable button to global phantom on/off would be a great fix. Global off, global on based on channel configuration.”

Profile photo of jey
    jey
    Participant

hello guys

i have xb14 mixer, can you tel me please how turn on 48v platform power because i have microphone at4040 audio technica and its not working on this mixer.

thanks

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@jey

Please start a new question in the ‘others’ forum not add yours to an old discussion.
    This one is from 2016 and has nothing to do with your device nor your question.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.