PEQ an individual channel to a single mix bus?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions PEQ an individual channel to a single mix bus?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mhochman
    mhochman
    Participant

I’m still a bit newish to mixing so forgive me if this sounds silly, But is there a way to EQ an individual channel to a mix bus on a QU32? I was running monitors for a show last night, and the drummer had what seemed like a simple request, A little less bottom end on the bass in his wedge, However I discovered (as y’all probably know) that any adjustment to the PEQ for the bass channel, sends across all mix busses, not JUST his wedge.

I ended up using a split and running the bass to both channel 6 and 20, and just sending him 20 with the low wend PEQ’d, and that worked in this specific case where it was just one musician who wanted one channel altered. It seems to me this would be a commonish request, again I’m still new so maybe there is a reason to not be able to do this, I’m pretty sure I could on the Midas M32, but 99% of the time I’m on a QU32.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on how to do this without a physical split.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I would just roll off the bass in the mix EQ. The bass guitar will probably be the only instrument in that range anyway. Maybe some kick drum too, but they only need the snap for keeping time.

Profile photo of JohnK
    JohnK
    Participant

You need an extra link in the signal chain … if you put the wedge on a matrix output, that would allow you to send the bass channel to an additional separate mix bus where you cut the low end, then combine it back with the regular mix bus into the matrix which feeds the wedge.

mhochman
    Participant

I had thought a Matrix might do it, Where it was just the one channel, last night it was easier to just do an analog split.

mhochman
    Participant

Garyh, Yeah, I tried that, the Bass player wasn’t happy with the result. It was literally only the Drummer who wanted less low end, It does surprise me a bit that you can’t EQ a single channel to a single mix send, It seems like it would be fairly common for a specific musician to want something different in his/her wedge than everyone else.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If it’s just the drummer’s mix, lower the levels from about 80Hz and down in their mix only using the graphic EQ. Don’t touch the bass channel EQ at all.

mhochman
    Participant

I did, he wasn’t happy with the sound from his kick after, As I said, We did find a solution, just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something simpler than I was missing. Again, it seems like this would be something commonly asked for, but I guess not.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Splitting the channel like you did is the common work around to do what
    you needed to do.
    If your using a stage box you can do the “split” to multiple channels in the IO patch set up by assigning a stage box input to multi channels on the mixer.

In the mix set up screen you can assign the mix pick off point to be pre or post channel EQ.

To get the feature where each channel has separate mix EQ’s on each mix your going to need to get into a completely different league of mixer with a bigger price tag.

mhochman
    Participant

Unfortunately the venue I’m working doesn’t have a digital stage box, we’re working with an analog snake, for now.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Remind the band that monitors that are too loud with too much low
    with adversely affect the main mix.

Build your Y split cables, good soldering practice, every sound person
    needs to know how to solder a mic cable.
    After you master that practice with a flashlight held in your teeth and
    soldering in a dark room!

Unless you get name brand cables check that they do not have pin 1 tied to
    the shell of the XLR. I have seen many of the budget import cables do that.

Profile photo of marxbear
    marxbear
    Participant

I have a similar request. I am using the Mix Bus(s) on a QU-SB for In Ear Monitoring and have utilised all of the available Channel Inputs for the band, so am unable to split any given signal into multiple channels.

My challenge is that if I mix a good sound for FOH, the bass, which is DI, loses some of the bottom end in the IEM mix. Conversely, when I mix for the ears, the FOH gets very muddy.

I’m guessing that the answer is to play with the Mix EQ rather than the EQ for the channel?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Remember that you can select the mix pick off point to be pre of post EQ. It sounds like you have it set to post EQ, try the pre EQ setting. With that and some output mix EQ see if that does what they want in their IEM mix.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.