Pathching for newbies

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Pathching for newbies

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I want to know how to connect socket 10 on the AR4812 to channel 2, Bank 1, layer A on the control surface.
    The video I’ve been watching at the bottom of the dSnake I/O screen has a source button. I’m using the GLD editor at home and I don’t! Plus, the manual I have doesn’t address this issue at all.
    1/ Is there a more detailed manual out there that I can read up on this. But short term;
    2/ How would I carry out that operation mentioned at the start. Please be pedantic (i’m slow!)

Profile photo of JLD
    JLD
    Participant

Hi,

Guess you are on a AR2412.

In the editor, surface page, select the channel, in your case channel 2.
    On the channel processing page, select the preamp tab.
    Under select source select input socket.
    Set the mousepointer on the socketnumber.
    When holding the left mousebutton down, move the mouse until dSnake 10 is shown
    Press Apply.
    Done.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes, using a 2412 and two 84’s
    Thank you for this – I’e added your instructions to my ever expanding note book!

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

On GLD you can put any channel, mix or DCA on any fader. For this reason there is no such thing as patching audio to a particular location on the surface. The second fader strip on layer 1 bank A may or may not be channel 2, depending on how you have it set up in setup > control > strip assign. You patch a socket to a channel, but that channel can be anywhere on the surface without any difference in patching.

The simplest way to do patching is to select the channel, press the processing button right of the screen, then choose the preamp tab. The source select area in the top left of this page lets you choose where the selected channel gets it’s signal from. In your case you would choose Input Sockets, and 10. This also seems to be the only way to do things like routing groups and auxes back to input channels.

You can also patch from the I/O page, which is also the only way to patch outputs. The boxes at the bottom are greyed out when no socket is chosen, but when you click on a socket they should activate. If you want to patch socket 10 to channel 2 (which may or may not be on your second fader) you would click on dSnake at the top, which will bring up a graphical representation of the AR2412, then click on input socket 10. The boxes at the bottom are where you decide where you want the signal from this socket to go to. In your case this would be input and Start 2 End 2.

The start/end system is for when you want to patch a sequence of consecutive sockets to consecutive channels. If you selected Start 2 End 6 it would patch socket 10 to channel 2, s11 to c3, s12 to c4, s13 to c5, and socket 14 to channel 6. You change these numbers by holding the mouse on them and moving up and down.

Note that when you see the word “input” at the bottom it refers to input channels, not the physical sockets. The same goes for the small “ip” that will appear in the socket icons to show which input channel that socket is patched to. You’ll notice that the fader LCDs for your channels also say IP in them.

Note also that one socket can be patched to more than one destination, but only the first one will be shown in this icon. To patch to the second destination you would need to use the select channel > preamp tab procedure above.

Chris

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks Chris. It’s more of a philosophy thing. I’ve been brought up on analog audio boards and am very conversant with lighting boards so the “Channel’ word can be confusing. Anyway all copied to a document to be hacked into some working notes. The theater I work at runs a Soundcraft 64ch analog board, no compression etc. So meeting the WLD at another venue is quite and adventure

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.