Patching Stereo outputs to AR2412 Mono Outputs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Patching Stereo outputs to AR2412 Mono Outputs

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LesWilson LesWilson 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LesWilson
    LesWilson
    Participant

I am trying to configure a QU-32 and AR2412 to replace a GL2800-48 channel desk. I’m running up against the GL having many mono outputs but the QU-32 only 4 mono and the rest stereo. As I understand it, I am burning a QU stereo output for each of these previously mono outputs. Do I assume correctly that the 10 mono outputs on the AR2412 don’t help? That is, I can’t separate mix-9 and mix-10 into separate mono channels on the AR2412 any more that using the local 9/10 outputs. Right?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The stereo mix outs on the QU’s are locked together, of course if you only need mono you can use either output and keep the mix sends panned to the center.
    You could use the mix send pan control to create two mixes out of one stereo mix, kind of cumbersome but it would work.

If you need more mixes keep in mind on the QU24 and QU32 you can switch the audio sub groups to be additional mixes.

Sounds like your going to get a QU32 instead of using a QU16 to replace the Gl2800-48 that you posted about a few days days ago.

Your right about AR2412, even though you have the option to patch the outputs individually it does not split a stereo mix apart into two mono mixes.

LesWilson
    Participant

Thanks again Mike. I’ve been using my own personal QU-16 at work alongside a degrading GL2800 for two years now. We need it once a year for a musical production and wire all our all our wireless into it. It’s great. We use its 4 mono outputs to send four monitor mixes to the GL. The QU-16 LR mix is sent to the GL so we free up a net of 10 GL channels.

Initially I was looking at combining a QU-32 with the QU-16 to replace the 48 channel GL. You helped me better understand how things done in the analog world are done differently in the digital world. At this point I’ve found no synergy between QU-32 and QU-16. So I am looking at all the things we do in our analog configuration and see how they would be implemented on a QU-32. It’s not a plug and play.

At the moment, I believe it could work. I think the only loss of function is the 8 mono group outputs of the GL dropping to 4 on the QU-32. And as per this thread, we’re not making use of the AR2412 outputs. Otherwise I’m using every bit of the QU-32 save the two stereo matrix outputs.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

What are you using the group outputs for?

Chris

LesWilson
    Participant

We use the 8 groups of the GL to feed a downstream mixer for recording and streaming. An example of how handy this is when recording a live event in a two track camera, we separate all the musical channels from the vocals and remix in post. Not a big deal that 4 groups on the QU can’t substitute. It’s just been that way for 20 years. LOL.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Couple things on using QU groups and audio groups on quite a few other digital mixers.

If you are NOT assigning the audio groups to the main L R mix but only to your sub mixer
    or any other zone ect. your all set as is.

Now if your ARE assigning the audio groups to the main L R mix in addition to sending
    them to your sub mixer ect. you need to UN ASSIGN any channels from the L R mix that are assigned to the audio groups.
    If not you will get a slight phasing issue due to the slightly different digital paths
    and the slightly latency when the two signal would combine back together.

Nice stand to put the QU16 on the 2800!

LesWilson
    Participant

Got it. Thanks. Yes, that stand had all kinds of angles to deal with. The near side followed the GL2800 slope but the far side rested on the unsloped table. The hooked top of the QU rests on a 1″ dowel which makes it a snap to grab the bottom and tilt the QU up for access to the channels underneath (many of which have gone bad … LOL). It works really well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.