Patching for digital splits

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Patching for digital splits

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RobbO RobbO 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RobbO
    RobbO
    Participant

This will probably all become clear when we get our dLive system but I’m wracking my brain trying to figure this out.

So, let’s say I have a DM64, an s7000 for FoH, with a DM0 and an s5000 on stage for monitors and the DMs both have GigaAce cards. It seems easy enough to use tie lines from the DM64 to the DM0 to send inputs to the s5000. Here’s where I’m getting stuck… How do you patch the mix outputs from the DM0 back to the outputs on the DM64?

Also, would gain tracking come into play in this scenario?

The dLive Director software has helped me a bunch to get my mind around most of the features of the system. Thanks, A&H for making some great software. Oh, and the hardware too.

If you want direct patch between the two you’ll need to use Tie Lines on the DM64. (You could alternatively use inputs or mix-busses on the dm64 if you wanted control instead of a direct 1:1 patch to outputs.)

You’ll also need i/o in one of your open ports to link the two desks. We use Dante for distro, but additional GigaAce cards are probably the way to go there. The *only* reason I would argue in favor of Dante over GigaAce is if you were planning on using those i/o points for additional distribution outside of the dLive system architecture.

Congrats on the new desks! Hope this helps.

Profile photo of RobbO
    RobbO
    Participant

I think a 1:1 patch with cotrol at the the s5000 is what I’m after. Both the mixracks will have GigaAce in their I/O slots. We’re using Dante for our lobby, backstage, and other distribution. Possibly recording as well. I think I fugured out my own questions tho. So if I have 48ch of input at the DM64 then those would go to the s5000 viat tielines. Then, say I have 16 mixes for monitors, the mix outputs would go back to the DM64 via tielines again and then patched to its outputs. All this digital patching is kinda confusing sometimes.

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

You are mostly right-

Inputs will be tie line from analog/digital inputs to slot X on the DM64 and patch to input channels as a slot Y source on the DM0.

Mixes will be tie line from mix out to slot Y on the DM0 and tie line from slot X to output (analog or digital) on DM64.

Jay

Profile photo of RobbO
    RobbO
    Participant

Thanks, Jay.

We’re also getting a couple DX expanders so that may be an easy woy to do it too.

Profile photo of Netracer24
    Netracer24
    Participant

I don’t think anyone touched on your question about gain tracking. Gain tracking only applies if you have 1 mixrack with to surfaces.

Profile photo of RobbO
    RobbO
    Participant

Cool. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.