Patch playback of Qu-Drive recordings

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Patch playback of Qu-Drive recordings

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of b73 b73 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of b73
    b73
    Participant

Hi,

I’m looking into getting a QuPac to use primarily without a DAW. Could someone please confirm if the following workflow is possible/easy to accomplish:

1. Connect instrument to line-input-1 and record to Qu-Drive track-1.

2. Disconnect instrument from line-input-1.

3. Patch playback of track-1 from Qu-Drive to channel-2.

4. Apply compression, effects etc to channel-2 and record to Qu-Drive track-2.

In short I want to know if I can build up a mix piecemeal, utilising pre-recorded tracks from the Qu-Drive, that can be further effected/re-fined without the original instruments being connected to the mixer.

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi b73,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to record and playback with Qu-Drive at the same time.

You can find more information on this, particularly in the Qu-Drive modes section here: https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/774/201/understanding-qu-drive-and-usb-devices

Thanks! Alex

Profile photo of b73
    b73
    Participant

test post

Profile photo of b73
    b73
    Participant

Thanks Alex,

Could I instead do the following:

1. Connect instrument-A to line-input-1 and apply eq, compression, fx etc.

2. Record line-input-1 to Qu-Drive track-1.

3. Disconnect instrument-A from line-input-1.

4. Patch playback of track-1 from Qu-Drive to channel-1.

5. Connect instrument-B to line-input-2 and record it to Qu-Drive track-2.

6. Re-connect instrument-A to line-input-1.

7. Assume original channel-1 settings (compression, fx etc) that were used when the instrument was originally recorded to the Qu-drive.

8. Alter channel-1 settings (e.g. compression).

9. Re-record line-input-1 to Qu-Drive track-1 (overriding original recording).

Thanks again.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi b73,

Unfortunately, the record and playback mode of the Qu-Drive applies to all 18 tracks at once, so this would still require both modes to operate at the same time and that is unfortunately not supported.

It is possible for this to be done with a DAW, as the DAW handles the recording and playback differently to the Qu-Drive.

If you would like to go through this in more detail, please start a ticket at support.allen-heath.com

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of b73
    b73
    Participant

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the further info. I will open a feature request on support.allen-heath.com as suggested.

I see the issue is simultaneous playback and recording to/from Q-Drive. With that said, is the following possible:

1. Playback track-1 from Q-Drive whilst simultaneously monitoring instrument-B on line-input-2.
    3. Stop all playback from Q-Drive.
    4. Record line-input-2 to Q-Drive.
    5. Re-connect instrument-A to line-input-1.
    6. Assume original channel-1 settings (compression, fx etc) that were used when the instrument was originally recorded to the Qu-drive.
    7. Alter channel-1 settings (e.g. compression).
    8. Ensure all playback from Q-Drive is stopped.
    9. Re-record line-input-1 to Qu-Drive track-1 (overriding original recording).

Appreciate your info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.