passive v active speakers for gigging band

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions passive v active speakers for gigging band

This topic contains 57 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

In place of the MG16 desk what would you recommend?

ZED, of course.

Glad if any of this can be of use, but I totally agree that this is NOT the place to hash out problems unrelated to Qu.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

I agree with Dick Rees on both counts. For a mixer in your price range, Zed is the way to go. And… Since this is a QU forum, perhaps the moderator should move it. Not that it isn’t a good thread. This topic could be very helpful to others. But it really isn’t about the QU. I guess deep down inside I was hoping you would join the QU team 🙂 But I understand the whole budget thing.

Perhaps A&H can add a “General Mixer Questions” forum?

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

But I am in the QU team. I just bought a QU24 in Jan. Am just helping out a friend who at the moment cannot afford a QU. Maybe one day though…..
    Thanks again everyone for your help and advice.
    Cheers

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Dick do you mean the A & H Zed 16FX mixer?
    Looks very good, although it is a fair bit dearer than the Yamaha MG16XU, but worth the extra bucks I know. I will suggest it to them and see can they stretch a bit more.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Have them rent your QU, and put their fixed budget into better quality speakers/mics etc.

Or find people who can loan kit?

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

“But I am in the QU team. I just bought a QU24 in Jan. Am just helping out a friend who at the moment cannot afford a QU. Maybe one day though…..
    Cheers”

Lol, I meant a QU for your friend.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

“Have them rent your QU, and put their fixed budget into better quality speakers/mics etc.”

Now this is a brilliant idea!

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Alrod

“But I am in the QU team. I just bought a QU24 in Jan. Am just helping out a friend who at the moment cannot afford a QU. Maybe one day though…..
    Cheers”

Lol, I meant a QU for your friend.

Haha….sure lets buy one for all our friends….we’re not as rich as you Americans over here in the Emerald Isle 🙂

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Mates rates can really help a starting band.

You must know people with speakers etc they could borrow for a pint or two?

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

RCF Art 715a versus Yamaha DXR 15.
    The lads listened to both of these and loved the punch and clarity from the RCF’s better. I never heard of this brand, do any of ye know if they are a good reliable speaker?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

YES! RCF makes some of the best, most reliable, well built speakers in the world.

EAW used them in most all of their speakers for many years in front of millions of people.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Thanks for that Dan, that’s good to know.
    The lads have decided to go with the RCF 715’s and the Yamaha MG16XU desk. They were looking at the Peavey 14 USB but whilst it looked stronger than the Yamahu,it just has 1 monitor mix outputs, against the 3 (or 4 if you give up the FX) on the Yamaha

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

through the years, most of Yamaha’s gear is very nice and reliable, but personally, I have never liked their speakers.

I think they will get good use out of the RCF speakers, and the resale value is good too !

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I really hate one aspect of Yamaha mixers…

They have the mute buttons wrong. They call them ON, and light them in Amber.

I’m sorry, but either MUTE in red or ON in green, not ON in a warning colour!

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

I agree with u Bob.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.