Parametric EQ

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Parametric EQ

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DoctorG DoctorG 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of chrisgreenwood
    chrisgreenwood
    Participant

Hi,

we had some company fit an QU32 at church and did a general sound check.

All the mics seem fine apart from one lav mic (Sennheiser G3) which the vicar uses, The settings they did was fine just way too bassy and was hard to understand

I improved it (i just left it on blank with some changes) but it still seems overly quiet even with gain increased or doesn’t sound right

I’ve read the manual about the EQs and watched various videos but still seem confused by it all.

Does anyone have any dummy guides on what each knob does?

No one has complained, just doesn’t sound right to me

Any help would be grateful – i have posted an image of the current one

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

In all fairness the company who installed the mixer should have also included
    some training on the mixer and go over how they configured it for your system.
    Finding a good pro company/installer is the key.

As for the level on the lav mic what is the input level at the board on that channel?
    Can you not get it any louder without feedback?

You may want to try cutting some in the area of 300hz, that said not knowing the rest of the system and configuration.

chrisgreenwood
    Participant

Vicar has mentioned them training us but they’re waiting until more people are interested so i don’t know when that will be

I don’t know the input levels for that channel but volume wise, i do it around 10 on the faders and Gain is on 12, any slightly louder then we start getting feedback

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You to need to identify the first couple frequencies that feed back and cut/reduce those
    on the lav channel EQ……..or depending on the system maybe at the over all system eq.
    The graphic EQ mode will show you the frequency area that is feeding back.

chrisgreenwood
    Participant

I’ll try and look next Sunday

Our amp is yahama p5 which is on Max volume and speakers are AARON B pure series P10

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

You stated that you were using a Sennheiser G3, but that system can be used with at least 3 Sennheiser mics, and they have drastically different frequency responses. I’d like to make some suggestions, but it would be helpful to me and others if you could tell us which mic is connected to the transmitter.

chrisgreenwood
    Participant

Pro Lavalier Lapel Microphone JK MIC-J 044 Compatible with Sennheiser Wireless Transmitter – Omnidirectional Condenser Mic

That’s the mic we have attached, it’s not the genuine sennheiser one

Profile photo of EdH
    EdH
    Participant

I have found cheaper mics to be very difficult to EQ & set up in church acoustics. The Sennheiser ME2 can often work quite well for live PA if the overall speakers have been tuned & then the EQ set for the mic itself. (Obviously, for an omni mic, volume level can not be as high as is achieveable with a close headset mic). I have found it easiest to start with graphic EQ to work through each band to see where the resonances fall. This can potentialy be translated on to paramateric EQ. I got a very stable setup using the SQ EQ.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Chris,

I looked into specifics regarding the JK044 lavalier. I was unable to find information that jibed with your description of its performance. Most reviews of it were fairly positive.

In order to address your problem, a discussion more extensive than is typical on a forum like this is required, so I prepared a PDF for this purpose. It is attached, and hopefully will meet the file size restrictions imposed here.

Let me know if you need additional information or have specific questions.

DoctorG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chrisgreenwood
    Participant

Thanks for all the tips, i’ll have a look when im next at church, im not their next week

but it probably hasn’t helped how they positioned the speakers, the one on my side is about 5m infront of a TV Screen attached to a pillar so naturally the further back at church, everything sounds duller due to it bouncing off the screens on that side etc

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Chris,

There are many factors at play in a situation like this. That’s why I recommend you spend some time reviewing the resources I sent. It won’t be a waste of time.

If that will take too long, you should press the installer to help you work the issue.

Forrest

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.