Parallel Compression

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Parallel Compression

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi girls and guys,

The manual says:
    “Parallel compression –
    This allows you to blend (in-line) the compressed signal with the uncompressed signal.”

If I understand that concept correctly: NY Style Compression or Parallel Compression is to blend in a heavy compressed signal to the unaffected signal to keep the transients intact and add in the low level information like overtones and room. And that´s how it is described in the manual i think (I´m german, so please correct my if I interpret the manual wrong).

BUT: on the compression page on my SQ the default of the parallel path is wet 0dB (100%) and dry -inf (0%).
    Here´s my feature request: I would like to have the opposite as the default: wet 0% (-inf) and dry 100% (0dB). That way we can actually do what the manual says : Blending in the compressed singal.

Maybe that is easy to implement and speeds up the workflow.

Cheers!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of robashard
    robashard
    Participant

Your default is for no compression at all! So no, an extremely bad idea. Parallel compression is something you should make happen if you, that’s YOU, want it.
    Most people want normal compression that does what it says on the tin.
    If you want parallel compression, you change your controls.

Sorry to disagree!

Rob

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi Rob,

thanks for your answer.

My thinking was the following:

if you want NORMAL compression (meaning not parallel) you would not touch the “parallel path” button at all, right? So there is your “normal” compression. The Wet/Dry Mix is only active, IF you choose to use parallel compression (NOT NORMAL). In that case, I think, the default should be as in my post described.

As I said, I´m not a native english speaker and there is no BEDIENUNGSANLEITUNG (manual) in german.
    I interpret:
    This allows you to blend (in-line) the compressed signal WITH the uncompressed signal” (<- from the manual) as:
    This allows you to blend (in-line) the compressed signal TO the uncompressed signal.

Please let me know, if got that wrong. And no need to apologize for you to disagree.

Cheers,
    André

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

I’d say your interpretation is a bit off — the way you’re describing how the feature should work, I’d say your interpretation would be “This allows you to ADD the compressed signal TO the uncompressed signal” (“blend to” doesn’t make much sense, since “blend” is basically a “mix” of things that have been combined, and the “to” gives a direction like the mixture is changing; “blend to” would be more like a cross-fade between two images, where the proportions of each are changing). “Add to” could make sense if you always had the uncompressed signal (fixed amount) and were just adding in a compressed signal, but it isn’t a completely accurate interpretation of what the manual says. “With” is roughly equivalent in meaning to “together” in the way they used it, so a closer interpretation would be that “blend with” is saying you can mix the compressed and uncompressed signals together, possibly with one not being present at all. When I read “with” in the manual, it doesn’t convey a sense of one signal being added to the other (one doesn’t feel like it was the original and always has to be present).

As for the default, it sounds like it’s individual preference. Possibly the A&H reasoning for the current default was that you might want to dial in compressor settings either before or after pressing the parallel path button, which wouldn’t be as simple if the default were flipped; or it could be to avoid a sudden jump from compression to no compression or vice versa when toggling the parallel path button.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.