PAFL vs Real sound quality

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting PAFL vs Real sound quality

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of HunHyper HunHyper 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HunHyper
    HunHyper
    Participant

Dear A&H and Users,
    I have a big problem with my QU-SB. I have a Keyboard with very realistic sounds. The piano sounds are very nice. Big body, clear & all noices you can hear what an original piano has. When I use the PAFL button the sound is very nice, but on the MainLR is no more body, no more realistic sounds. It is same as a keyboard for childrens. A made the Factory Reset, but this problem I have after the reset again on all channels. The mixer has very much noices too. What can I do? Is it maybe hardeware or software problem? Help me please!
    Thank You and best regards!
    Roland

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

With PAFL I assume your listening to headphones.
    When you listen to the main LR is that through the PA system or are you using the same headphones?

Is the keyboard channel or channels assigned directly to the main LR mix or do you have
    those channels routed through an audio sub group that is then assigned to the main LR mix?

If you are using an audio sub group and that group is assigned to the main LR mix
    you will need to un assign the channels assigned to the sub group from the main LR mix.

On the main LR are you applying any EQ on the output?

Is this a live sound or recording set up?

HunHyper
    Participant

Hi Mike C,

I am using the same headphones for the main LR too. This is a Beyerdynamics dt 880 pro headphones.
    The keyboard use a linked stereo channel and assigned directly to the main LR. The Keyboard is a Ketron SD9.
    I don’t use generally EQs, Gates, Compressors. The mixer restored to the factory setup.
    This would be a recording and live set up too. But the sound on the main LR sounds as if I used a bad EQ and FX settings.

Thank You and best regards!

Roland

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

Could be a phase issue where for some reason you’re mono’ing the output somehow.

Try flipping the phase of ONE channel of the stereo pair and see if the issue persists. If you’re using DI boxes then the flip could be happening there?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Along the lines of what BRS posted, when you PFL the keyboard channels are you PFL’ing
    just one channel at a time or both channels together at the same time?

In the set up menu under the audio tab you can set the PAFL to be additive/multiple so you can PFL multiple channels at the sometime and listen to them summed together.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@hunhyper

In the first post, you mention comparing PAFL to MainLR. So just to clarify, are you are leaving the headphones connected to the headphone output at all times and then comparing the sound when PAFL’ing the input channel and then not PAFL’ing anything (which by default means the whole LR mix is being sent to the PAFL bus) ?

Thanks,
    Keith.

HunHyper
    Participant

Also…
    I checked the “solution” from BRS, isn’t working. Yes, KeithJ is right, I mean PAFL and LR mix to the PAFL bus…
    I checked all inputs, I have always the same problem, but one times are the signals same (PAFL vs. LR mix) on the Stereo channel 1.
    Only this one channel works right, the others have the problem.

Regards: Roland

Profile photo of Martijn
    Martijn
    Participant

Hi RunHyper,
    Sounds like you are using the channels Mono.
    If the keyboard is coming into 2 Mono channels have you panned 1 channel to left and the other to the Right?
    If you have both channels panned center (So both channels will send to both left and right) you have a Mono signal on your channel PAFL but both L&R from the keyboard summed to Mono on the LRMix PAFL.

This will probably result in a Thin and very Non “Spatial” sound.

From the Scenes page on the iPad try to press and hold “Reset mix settings”
    Then Insert the Keyboard into channel 1 & 2
    Pan channel 1 to the Left
    Pan channel 2 to the right
    Turn Fader 1 & 2 to 0dB
    Listen to the LR mix PAFL.

HunHyper
    Participant

Hi Martin, thank you, I try it…

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If you’ve “Linked” the two channels, the pan control for either channel becomes a stereo width control.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Also when Linked, I think PAFL’ing either channel PAFLs both.

HunHyper
    Participant

Dear Colleagues,
    thank you very much for your help!
    I find the problem… I think this is a software bug.
    I linked the channels, but the panorama stay at the middle…
    I made the pan L&R manually, and now it’s working nice…
    Also Martin’s idea was the solution, but it’s working in the linked mode too…

THANKS!!!!

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

Glad you got sorted. A&H community is great!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I find the problem… I think this is a software bug.
    I linked the channels, but the panorama stay at the middle…

I wouldn’t call it a bug, it’s the way it works
    imagine, if you link two channels carefully panned to it’s positions, not hard left and hard right
    after linking, the panning would be gone if the default link pan position would be hard left and right…

Indeed it’s a bit annoying to the average user, but it has it’s use like it is…
    In the end you have to know what happens to deal with it…

HunHyper
    Participant

Yes, thnks!
    This community is great!
    Before I had an other mixer from an other company.
    The forum was there not too fast. I waited an answer 2 weeks…
    And here? 1 day and I have the right solution.

Thank you! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.