PAFL BUS-Controlling multiple set of Monitors in The Studio

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions PAFL BUS-Controlling multiple set of Monitors in The Studio

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Maxdrums Maxdrums 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Maxdrums
    Maxdrums
    Participant

I have two sets of monitors in my studio and if I send the Pafl to an output and the listen bus to another I can not control the monitors separately. The only way to control them separately is to send the Main to two Matrixes so I can mute one or the other but I do not have the Pafl bus anymore in the Monitors. I’m doing something wrong??

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Maxdrums,

The PAFL bus is the same as any other bus (Matrix, Aux, Group, etc), but it is only fed audio by enabling the PAFL key on a channel. The Listen bus is only fed by the PAFL bus and has no processing, only a gain control. You can see how this works on the block diagram for SQ here: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ-5-Technical-Datasheet_D.pdf#page=5&zoom=280,34,385

For your set up, it would require multiple PAFL buses so that you can assign each bus to a set of monitors, in the same way you have done with Matrix 1 & 2.

Unfortunately, this is not available on SQ, so you would need to use an external monitor controller to use the PAFL bus with multiple monitors.

Thanks!

Alex

Maxdrums
    Participant

Thank’s Alex
    It is a great desk but for the studio it is still incomplete.A full control room Management can be implemented in a future firmware update??

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi!

Unfortunately, multiple PAFL buses are not planned for SQ, as this is only available for dLive at the moment. However, I wouldn’t like to say that something similar will never be considered.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I run 2 sets of Monitors from matrix’s on an QU32 studio scenario and mute either of the monitors that I wish to listen to post FOH fader.
    And so I have to run a 3rd set of monitors solely for PAFL from ALT out.
    This is an issue and is a stopping myself from upgrading to an SQ.

Surely the SQ could be programed to direct the single PAFL or solo in place direct to the matrix’s?
    Why would one need multiple PAFLs?
    To have to use an additional exterior add on unit to make this work does not get my vote.

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi NZdave,

Patching PAFL to a Matrix has been requested previously and may be considered in the future, however, at the moment (with the current firmware) this is not possible.

The difference between this and extra PAFL buses is that each PAFL bus can be controlled independently, whereas a single PAFL bus routed to a matrix would be using the same PAFL.

Thanks

Alex

Profile photo of Alex_man
    Alex_man
    Participant

Hi Alex…
    i wanna make a question about QU-16. Can I connect an external compressor or EQ to the mixer? If I can, who are the channels that can I use? both on playback of an audio file on my DAW (Logic X) and when I use a software plugin. Thank you

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Alex_man,

We have a couple of articles on our knowledgebase which may help you with this:

https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1142/201/how-do-i-route-audio-to-and-from-my-qu-mixer-and-the-daw

https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1167/0/qu–outboard-gear

Please note, for questions relating to a different subject, please start a new thread in the designated forum (in this case Qu General Discussion). You can also check if the question has already been answered using the search bar or contact support directly at support.allen-heath.com.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of jdugger
    jdugger
    Participant

Would this concept work for you?

Studio monitor Management

I would like to see a software “master section” on the desk as well. I’m using a TC-Electronic BMC-2 for monitor management, but I would love to remove that device from the workflow and use only the SQ-6 instead.

Maxdrums
    Participant

+1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.