Output levels from "mic input"

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Output levels from "mic input"

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpnh dpnh 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SG
    SG
    Participant

I was wondering if there is a way to alter output levels when “mic input” is selected as source on our iLive T112.

We want to record using our own preamps, so we need signal from the iDR that is pre-everything, effectively a mic split.

Selecting “mic input” seemed like it should do this, but actually the signal we get out is very hot – most sources are clipping our preamps even with them set on minimum. All the sources are fine at the desk. If we take a physical mic split at the iDR, the levels are exactly what we would expect – plenty of headroom. So it seems “mic input” has some level of amplification on it before it is sent to the outputs.

Is there any way to change this output level? I know we can use “Direct out” as source and adjust that level, but if we do that, we are recording post-preamp (if not further down the chain), which is not what we want.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

How are you taking the signal from the iDR. From a physical output xlr port, or other digital format.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the way you would do it is not possible without the addition of an analog splitter

the preamp is directly connected to the AD converters and the split is after that

think about it… it must be like that
    for digital transport of audio signals (switching an input directly to an output ist digital as well)

Profile photo of SG
    SG
    Participant

Thanks for your responses. I want to take the signal from a physical XLR output port on the iDR.

Clearly analog splitters (ie Y cables) will allow me to mic split to get the channels I want pre-everything. I don’t really want to have to make 24 Y cables, though.

Looking at the block diagram, I see what you mean about the AD converter – it is after the preamp and there is no way to take the signal before that. I had hoped that the option labelled “MixRack inputs” was a direct connection of inputs to outputs, and on an analog desk maybe it would be. But here I can see that it has to be post-AD converter to be able to be routed to the DAC on each output.

So, it looks like I need to use the Direct Out option, which gives me the option of turning down each channels Direct Out level to compensate for the preamp gain. Not ideal, but it will do.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

have a look

https://www.thomann.de/de/art_s8_mikrofon_splitter.htm

just one, there are more out there 🙂

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Here’s another: https://splproaudio.com/PSX/Poorman.html. Hardwired split, no transformers. I have a similar passive 24 ch. splitter and have never had any buzz or grounding problems (other than a bad XLR cable).

-Mark

Profile photo of dpnh
    dpnh
    Participant

Nice, how much did cost you?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.