Output fader position of audio channel to MIDI

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions Output fader position of audio channel to MIDI

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lithiumfun lithiumfun 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lithiumfun
    lithiumfun
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m not sure if this is a feature request or a question. I was wondering if there was a way to control an audio channel on a fader strip, while simultaneously transmitting that data to a DAW (like the MIDI strips do). This way, when you’re recording a multitrack to Logic or other DAW, it’s capturing the audio as well as control data (mute, fader, etc.) at the same time. It would make post production of small events with limited processing needs a little smoother, as the recording non-destructively follows what you were doing live, thus giving you the option of bumping that late unmute over a little to sound perfect, while eliminating the need to have to do that all manually after the fact.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes what a great idea!
    I use Reaper and that would make the remix a whole lot faster.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

GLD does send out MIDI messages for fader levels of audio channels. However these are NRPN messages as detailed in the GLD MIDI / TCP specs. Not all DAWs can interpret these messages (as opposed to the standard CC we use for the MIDI strips, which are widely supported), but I believe Logic can!

Install the TCP IP MIDI Driver (not the DAW Control driver) and manually assign the faders to your tracks. You can use the Learn function but you’ll need to tweak with the control settings. Try Unsigned, Multiply by 1.00, and set the Mode to Scaled.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of owai
    owai
    Participant

i think it should work

Profile photo of lithiumfun
    lithiumfun
    Participant

I haven’t had a chance to try it yet (haven’t had a show with more than a stereo room mic in a while) but I will post back with results.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.