Outboard Equipment

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Outboard Equipment

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of seewald
    seewald
    Participant

Hi!
    Im planning to use the new gld 112 in my studio, but i have a question.
    Is it possible to use external analogue equipment like analogue preamps,
    EQs, Compressors?
    How do i route an external preamp with the gld 112?
    cheers, Leo

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

As a studio person myself for over 35+ years I would ask if you think this is the proper mission for a GLD112? Personally I think not. Sure you can use external mic pres and come into inputs line in. Put in a pad and gain it down. GLD has a lot of gain. I think you might not be getting the full benefit of you mic pre like that but that is your call. As for processors, same thing. You can direct a channel out and then back into a line input. But you run into a situation of running out of outputs. With a console, 2412 and 2 84’s you have a total of 24 output sockets not counting the dig outs and RCAs. Not the same as a console with inserts on every channel.

I have a 112 demo unit. It is a great live board using internal fx. They did not even consider a control room section on it so you have to use the IEM to do a control room monitor unless you use the headphone out which I don’t like to do. That was a huge oversight for anything other than live. But it is what it is.

Profile photo of seewald
    seewald
    Participant

okay, thank you for the fast reply!
    which console can you recomment in that prĂ­ce segment?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

How much are you really wanting to spend?

Profile photo of seewald
    seewald
    Participant

for the console i planned arount 10000$. i thought about the gsr24m.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I was just going to suggest that.
    https://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=GSSeries&ProductId=GSR24&SubCatId=

In my world most guys go for vintage type boards. I have owned several. But in that price range this console is a good match for most anything you are going to want to do. You can do the things you first requested plus a lot more.

If I can help you in any way, let me know…

George Cumbee, Pres.
    Audio Creations Inc. Paducah, KY
    Mid-America Communications Audio/Video Services, Paducah, KY
    http://www.midcommav.com
    Classic Recording Studios, Franklin, TN
    Classic Aviation, LLC

Profile photo of seewald
    seewald
    Participant

whats the best way to connect external outboard equipment like eq’s, compressors with the gsr24m?
    i want to have fix cabled gear in my studio, so do i have to work with a patchbay?
    if i use a patchbay, how is the mixer connected with it? split each insert of each channel with a y-cable in send and return and connect it with the patchbay? or is it better to use the aux-ways of the mixer for external outboard gear?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The usual method is to use trs jacks for things like compressors, gates, dessers, such as in dynamics units. Then use aux sends and either channels or returns for things like reverb, delays, and other fx. Run the devices in 100% wet more and adjust to suite.

A hope that helps…feel free to ask more. Good luck.

George
    Mid-Aamerica Communications A/V, Paducah, KY
    Classic Recording, Nashville
    Classic Aviation LLC

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.