Outboard Effects Setup

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Outboard Effects Setup

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of StevenLMorgan
    StevenLMorgan
    Participant

I have purchased a Bricasti M7 and need assistance with the steps required to integrate it with my QU-16.

I am a 20+ year enterprise software platform expert but I have to say that this seems more complex to me.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Outboard FX – you need to send a signal (or two) and get them back in…

QU16 – so you are limited in terms of dedicated mixes. If you can use Mix1 (mono) or Mix9/10 (Stereo) then use them, if you can’t sacrifice those for whatever reason then you may have to sacrifice FX1(&2?) and only use the inbuilt effects as inserts or channel->return.

If you want to use the FX then you have to set up the Alt-Out routing to carry those mixes (they don’t have another ‘on desk’ output option) and feed that into your M7.
    Take the output of the M7 an plug it into one of the Stereo inputs (ST1 seems reasonable) of course a mono FX box could use a mono input.

Bingo, just don’t push any of the ST1 signal back to the FX Mix(es)

StevenLMorgan
    Participant

Thank you very much Bob.

I have plenty of channels open and can use Fx 1&2.

The Bricasti uses XLR stereo LR in and out. How can I get XLR stereo LR back into the QU-16? If the answer is adapters that is fine, I would prefer to stay XLR if possible.

Thank you!
    Steve

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If you have XLR inputs free, (15 & 16 for example) then you can use those. You’ll probably want to keep the gain low and link the channels you use.

If you’re using the FX output via the alt out, you’ll need TRS to XLR(m) adaptor leads.

StevenLMorgan
    Participant

Thank you very much Mark. Knowing that I can link channels as stereo is extremely helpful.

I use UA, API and Pueblo Audio preamps and will not need to use mixer gain.

I was planning to use a mix output i.e. 9 & 10 stereo XLR to the outboard Bricasti, will that work; can I route an FX output with a Mix Output?

MarkPAman
    Participant

You can use mix out 9&10 to send to your Bricasti, no problem. That will keep it XLR leads throughout, which is easier.

It also means the inbuilt effects of the desk can still use the FX busses, which you may find useful.

StevenLMorgan
    Participant

Awesome help guys, thank you so much!

Now I need to see if I can make it work…

BTW, I love so many things about the QU-16; if you have used other mixers, are most mixers as seemingly complex for new users?

MarkPAman
    Participant

Most, if not all digital mixers seem quite complex at first. Analogue mixers are much simpler – but then they do less.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Biggest problem I have in teaching operators of consoles I sell is understanding the mix busses. They get the select button and most don’t mess with processing once I do a few services and get things dialed in. You know. Most church operators only know faders and mutes.

I try to instill in them that think of the mix busses in simple terms. Each button in a different console. Like having 8 different consoles. Forget about the layers or what’s going on you don’t see. That seems to be the biggest hang up. On analog they were used to the matrix of aux sends. They can’t get that concept out of their heads.

StevenLMorgan
    Participant

I am feeling the pain of your average operator.

I really need to get the concept of mix busses and this being like 8 different consoles.

But for now, as is also probably like your average operator, I just need to make the outboard stereo reverb unit, which uses XLR in and out, behave like an fx so that I can leverage it on channels.

Conceptually to me, I picture the outboard reverb behaving exactly like the onboard reverb with regard to channels, with the Bricasti being somewhat legendary in the quality of reverb and simplicity of operation by comparison with the onboard reverb.

As I mentioned at a very brief summary level earlier, I make a living helping Fortune 500 CFOs and CIOs make profound business improvements by empowering them with concepts leveraging complex technology. I just do not have a grasp on some of the building blocks of this currently complex-to-me digital mixer and have self-imposed deliverable deadlines that are keeping me up at night each time I want to use what would seem to be basic functionality.

I just finished reading some GS threads to be sure I had made a great decision on this mixer. As expected, it seems I am the bottleneck which is humbling.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

If there is anything any of us can do we will be glad to help. I have done phone help if that would make a difference. It’s really not complicated once you grasp it.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I will add this. I have been in live sound and recording on a high end Nashville pro level over last 40+ years. I have and still own some of the most expensive effects/verbs you can buy. For me the ones in the QU and GLD are perfectly fine for 99% of any live application. That said I do tweak them up a little. Quite a few parameter adjustments. I think once you figure those out I really can’t imagine why you would want anything else. If that’s not good enough then you are obviously above my level.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I don’t think it’s been stated explicitly above, but the Jack inputs (and outputs) on the QU are TRS balanced, so you don’t lose that aspect of the connection when not burning XLR channels/mixes.

Personally I find digital desks easier to operate, but they take a learning curve to set up…

Certainly easier for novices, because there isn’t an array of buttons to navigate…

StevenLMorgan
    Participant

GCumbee, let’s work out arrangements as I am certain that I need professional assistance with specific configurations plus prioritized topical training to accomplish my goals. My current audio focus is recording vocals. I experimented with onboard reverb for a few hours but could not get the effect I was trying to duplicate so rather than learning the nuances, I opted for the Bricasti M7 which is well known for having exceptional presets.

BTW, I am based in a northern suburb of Atlanta on Lake Lanier. You mentioned Nashville and if you are located there it would be great to meet sometime as I travel to Nashville frequently to work with Bridgestone and Nissan.

Email: Steven_L_Morgan@yahoo.com

Bob, your point is well taken on the balanced TRS which shouldn’t be an obstacle, I just don’t have that cable/adapter combination at home right now and thought there must be a way to bring in XLR stereo.

Back in 1992, when I self-taught myself software and computing, I had specific tasks to accomplish and in the process of learning found it extremely challenging to find professional programmers who knew how to solve complex, real world problems that arose. It seemed many knew general programming concepts but could not roll up their sleeves to deliver solutions. As I look through the manual and see topic after topic that are new to me and frankly not covered in much depth, I know that I have a very steep learning curve and believe that focusing on accomplishing tasks with deadlines while learning and building knowledge on parallel concepts is once again going to be the best approach. What seems to be very different this time around is that there are experts like you who are willing to offer professional assistance.

You can’t imagine how pleased I am that you and GCumbee are providing extremely valuable solutions and insight through this forum, thank you and Happy New Year to both of you!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Some of us are pure amateurs 😉

I agree wrt programming btw – it’s even given a fancy name for newcomers to the art (or managers) – pair programming…

Having the appropriate adaptor is always half the challenge. If you’re not running short on channels the mix9/10 and Ch15/16 (linked in software) make a good setup.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.