Outboard Compressor Insert

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Outboard Compressor Insert

Tagged: 

This topic contains 28 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@alexman

why not just use the built in fx instead?
    compressor and eq are ready to go with no problems when you insert them. no wasted inputs/outputs.
    available on every channel strip.

if you insist on using an outboard analog style fx then you will have to send the signal to them via some output(s)
    like matrix or mix and then bring them back into the Qu via an input normally a channel but it could be ST 1 or 2

not sure what you mean by “cant record that ”
    you mean record on the Qu drive,
    or you cant record when you send your final out to a recording device whether CD via an output or to a DAW via USB

make sure you have ST1 sent to the recording device. problem solved, if that was really your problem.

Profile photo of alexman
    alexman
    Participant

Thanks for the immediate response, my problem is that I get to the headphones and speakers the audio signal worked by the eq and compressor, but when I go to record this signal to a track, my DAW (cubase 10 pro) records the initial signal , the one before entering eq and comp, maybe I’m wrong about something inside the mixer setup. I / OPatch, monitor or USB Audio, please look at the photos I uploaded, are they the right settings? I was used to another digital mixer that is broken now (RME fireface UFX), it was too easy. I would be very happy to have an answer as far as the matter is concerned. Thanks again … greetings from Italy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of alexman
    alexman
    Participant

I take and 3 screenshoots from my audio connections to my DAW.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of alexman
    alexman
    Participant

I tryed to connect my gears to the external fx camp on cubase bur don’t work in this way.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of alexman
    alexman
    Participant

and this pic is from the external fx.

Attachments:
    volounteer
    Participant

@alexman

the pic says you are recording on the Qu Drive
    Take that drive when you are done and put it in the pc and copy the file to the DAW

Check the block diagram on p89 of the user guide
    then make sure you are putting what you want to record on the usbb out to the DAW

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Alex, select a channel then hit the Routing key. On the screen you’ll see a Global Direct Out setting. Change this to where you want to tap the channel signal to send through the usb to your DAW. Note this setting affects all channels.

Profile photo of alexman
    alexman
    Participant

Thank you, but I can’t find that manual, I find only that here from this link: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-User-Guide-AP9372_1.pdf
    Please if you have any link of that manual that you talking about, past the link here, thank you again

volounteer
    Participant

@alexman

this is what my manual says on the cover:
    Qu Series Reference Guide
    For Firmware Version V1.9
    Publication AP9372

I just found it here
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_10.pdf

Profile photo of alexman
    alexman
    Participant

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Basically I want to use the mixer sends and returns to use my favorite hardware to master my audio tracks,Let’s see if I can connect them…. 🙂 thanks again..

Profile photo of alexman
    alexman
    Participant

Thank you…. finally I did it…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Keep one thing in mind when your looking at outboard input output patching options.

FX units like reverbs and delays are normally patched in parallel to the channels you want to apply the FX to. Taking a mix/aux out to the FX and bringing the FX output back
    into the board on an open channel, Exactly like it was done for years on analog mixers.

Dynamic processor units, comps, gates and EQ are normally patched in series with a channel or channels using the channel insert or to process multiple channels by assigning multiple channels to a group and inserting the processor on that group, unfortunately the QU-16 does not have groups, that would make it a little easier to do this.

It sounds like in your case you want to insert your comp and EQ on the entire output mix of the board and be able to record it at the board.

To do that take the main L R outputs into your comp and EQ chain, take that output into one of the stereo input channels, on that stereo input unassign it from the main L R mix out and for that matter all of the mixes except 9-10, bring up mix 9-10 on the stereo channel to unity, assign it as post fade, then you will use the mix 9-10 outputs
    to feed the system.

If you want to assign you comp and EQ to a channel or channels you would need to use a mix out to feed the comp EQ, bring up that mix on the channels your the comp and EQ on, set that mix to unity on the channel or channels, set the mix to past fade, un assign those channels from the main L R mix, take you selected mix output to the input of your comp EQ chain, take that output into a stereo input only in this case you will want to have that stereo input assigned to the main L R mix and to be safe un assign that stereo input from the mix that is feeding the comp and EQ.

OK I see that you got it to work while I was typing!

Profile photo of alexman
    alexman
    Participant

You are a genius Mike, thank you for your time, I’ll try it, and I think your suggestion will work better… 👌🙏😊

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Thanks!

For what it’s worth for my example I picked mix 9-10 at random, you could use any mix, just apply the same.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.