[OT] – Linking phases by powerline…

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions [OT] – Linking phases by powerline…

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

In a large building there are two phases of mains supplied.

My understanding is that these will have a minimum separation between sockets of the different phases – so far so good…

If I installed a powerline adaptor from the router at one end of the building it would provide signal to much of the building, but obviously stops where the phase changes.

QUERY: If I put *another* power line network on the other phase would it be safe to run an ethernet cable between these two closest sockets?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Its not a matter of the phase but of the grounds. Ethernet signals itself are completely isolated but if you’re running a shielded (STP) cable a ground loop will be established. Pretty the same with transformer based DI boxes and the ground lift switch.
    If you have to go a long distance I’d probably use a shielded cable with a short unshielded patch cable on one end. But be aware of different ground levels which may be uncomfortable to touch by hand…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d not go shielded, there’s no need.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.