OSC protocol support

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions OSC protocol support

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ben Ben 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kraken
    Kraken
    Participant

I love to automatize certain processes I do when mixing & OSC protocol is one of the easiest ways to implement automation for our Theatre show management software, as we use it for nearly everything from music playback to light controlling.

Profile photo of SteNorm
    SteNorm
    Participant

Yes, I think this is the biggest thing holding back the SQ taking over the X32 range in theatre world. As you say, everything is OSC controlled.

If this was implemented then I’m sure the SQ range would take over.

Profile photo of woutersnoei
    woutersnoei
    Participant

+1 on this old feature request, hopefully bumping it up. OSC support would be awesome!

Profile photo of jc2000
    jc2000
    Participant

+1 for OSC support, maybe not native in the SQ but adding OSC in/out to the A&H MIDI control app is a good solution.

Profile photo of ljb2of3
    ljb2of3
    Participant

+1 from me for OSC support. I’m looking to move from an X32 to an SQ-6 and I would love to see OSC support on the SQ series.

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

I don’t know enough about OSC. What can you achieve with it that you cannot do with the A&H MIDI driver?
    I believe you can already automate scene changes, fader moves and mutes on SQ. Are we talking more advanced automation?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

For me it would be a good step in the right direction if A&H will make the communication protocol and the data format of the stored data public. That would make it easier to add functionality to the products of A&H without the need of the manufacturer’s resources.

Profile photo of Queen Bee
    Queen Bee
    Participant

Thread from 2018 and still no developement for native OSC support on the desk? Bumping this up! Using MIDI in QLab is the worst thing ever: I just lost 3 days trying to understand how things work. Why do you guys make tables with Hex values when litterally NO ONE use Hex values ever. It only adds to the confusion caused by the terrible MIDI protocol documentation. I love your mixers from the bottom of my heart, but please make it make sense!

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

@Queen Bee: re Hex

In the MIDI world it is very prevalent due to the way the channel is incorporated into every standard message.
    The last nibble (the last 4 bits) of the command byte contains the channel, the first nibble contain the command.
    So for example, a control change on channel 1 will have the first byte set to B0 if it was on channel 2 then it would be B2 etc… all the way up to channel 16 where it would be BF.
    You can see the B at the start is constant as that is the control change command, and the channel is immediately obvious as the last hex digit so easy to analyse. If it were in decimal the above would be 176, 177 and 191 with no obvious way to determine the command or channel when examining the data stream.

So, without getting familiar with Hex it may seem strange, but when dealing with MIDI (and many other digital data streams too) it makes the most sense.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Edit: on channel 2 it would be B1 – sorry, a typo!

Also, +1 for OSC support from me

Profile photo of Tatsuya Nakamura
    Tatsuya Nakamura
    Participant

+1
    OSC support would be awesome!

The theater is comprehensively controlled by osc.
    Ableton Live (Max for Live) and QLab.
    It is now also used for Immersive equipment.
    It also creates affinity with touchOSC, Lemur, etc.

X32 and M32 support OSC, but unfortunately the function is not yet implemented in SQ, Avantis and dLive.

OSC is not only supported by X32, but also by YAMAHA PM, making OSC widespread in the world of mixing consoles.

Profile photo of alberto.irrera
    alberto.irrera
    Participant

+1 for OSC!

Profile photo of Ben
    Ben
    Participant

+1 for OSC from me too. This would also allow for many more parameters to be controlled (and in easier ways) than MIDI. See all the amazing things that have been done with the X/M32 consoles because everything on the desk is accessible via OSC and the protocol has been thoroughly documented: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Snbwx3m6us6L1qeP1_pD6s8hbJpIpD0a/view

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.