Option to change PAFL to a "solo in place" mode

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions Option to change PAFL to a "solo in place" mode

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Edi Edi 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Edi
    Edi
    Participant

Hi guys,

Especially for studio use it would be nice if there were a possibility to change the pafl mode to “solo in place”.
    Anyone a suggestion for a workaround?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Edi,

For studio use you could set an IEM strip on the Surface and patch the IEM output to your monitor speakers. This will give you fader control over your PAFL bus. Set Main LR to feed the PAFL bus when PAFL is not active (Mains to PAFL option in Setup / Audio / PAFL). You can also switch the Inputs from PFL to AFL to listen to the after fade & pan signal. This would effectively give you a Solo in Place solution.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Edi
    Edi
    Participant

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for this suggestion! This will help a lot and I’ll give that a try when I’m in my studio next time.

When I understand the IEM setup correct, I have to assign each input and mix output to the IEM mix to have the possibility to rehearse the wanted signal (soloed input, headphone cue mix, matrices) on my monitor speakers (connected to the IEM outputs) by activating the corresponding PFL button.

Now I have to go into more detail of my setup and target goal to be sure this can work…

Here is some detail information of my DAW/GLD setup:
    – Cubase DAW is using control room and is set up with a stereo main mix and 4 mono cue mixes
    – Cubase stereo main mix is assigned to EXT-In of GLD main mix
    – Each Cubase mono cue mix is assigned to EXT-In of an GLD mono aux mix
    – In the control room are two main monitor systems, the main monitors are fed from the IEM ouput then and the other monitor system is fed from a stereo matrix of the GLD which itself is fed from the GLD prefader LR mix
    – In the recording room are also two monitor systems each fed from a stereo matrix of the GLD which itself is fed from the GLD prefader LR mix
    – The main LR output from the GLD is not connected to anything and is just for summing Cubase LR output and live inputs coming from GLD and is the feed (prefader) for all matrices to which the other speaker systems mentioned above are connected.

So following should be possible (please correct me if I’m wrong):
    – I can monitor any input signal soloed on the main monitors (connected to IEM ouputs) by activating PAFL on input
    – I can monitor the GLD main LR mix on the main monitors (connected to IEM ouputs) as long as no PAFL button is active
    – I can mix the playback cue send from Cubase (routed to EXT-IN of GLD mono aux) with the live input signal from any input channel of the GLD as long as I also send the GLD input to this aux mix
    – I can monitor a headphone cue send on the main monitors (connected to IEM ouputs) by activating PAFL on mono aux mix
    – I can mix the playback LR Signal from Cubase (routed to EXT-IN of GLD main LR) with the live input signals of the GLD
    – I can monitor the GLD LR signal on different speakers (connected to the stereo matrices) by turning up the corresponding matrix fader which are fed from the GLD prefader LR bus.

I hope I was able to explain my setup in an understandable way 😉

Thanks in advance!
    Best regards,
    Edi

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Edi,

You don’t have to assign channels to the IEM strip in order for that to work. The IEM strip is always fed by the PAFL bus, regardless of assignments. (The assignments on that strip are nothing to do with the audio routing, they are only useful if you want to automatically mute either IEM or Wedge when pressing PAFL – see the GLD Reference Guide.)

That aside yes, all the points you listed seem feasible to me.

Profile photo of Edi
    Edi
    Participant

Hi Nicola,

Thank you very much for your explanation and your efforts answering my questions!
    Keep on that good work at Allen & Heath! I love that console!

Best regards,
    Edi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.