One musician using Qu16 with three bands

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions One musician using Qu16 with three bands

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

CK…

This is FAR above your typical RTA…which, BTW, is only marginally useful in the hands of a “proper sound engineer” and almost a total waste of time for the less experienced.

Running this type of analyzer will save time and enable you to do a “more thorough job” if you care to use it. Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve as with anyhing you try, but this one will be filled with “AHA” moments and up your game.

The nice thing about this is you can learn it on your own time and be ready when you’re under the gun. If you have no personal time to spend learning the craft, you have my sympathy. I know life gets busy. But for the majority of users seeking to improve their sound, save system deployment/adjstment time and learn more about the nuts and bolts of live audio, this is the ticket. Stuff like this used to cost over ten times as much and require a hefty computer to run.

Now you can have this level of functionality for $50.00 (and the iOs interface) and run it on an iOs device like a pad or phone. Pad is better for the larger screen.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@Dick,

Any particular measurement mic that you use or can recommend to use with this app?

🙂

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You could use theirs or anything else with a flat response. I wouldn’t be too concerned as long as it’s stable so you get consistent readings across venues. The fellow who demo’d his setup for me was using their iOs interface and a Behringer made measurement mic.

It worked well.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I personally have little to no time to sort the sound for my bands (less than 90 mins from unloading into the room to some background music having to be put on at clients weddings) so for me its always maximum gain before feedback over “Best sounding mix”……

What factors determine a 90 min or less time frame from load to start time. I would just tell them to do the job right you need to load in no less than three hours before the start time. The last thing I want to be doing when the guest are arriving is trying to trouble shoot a problem or at the very least looking and or smelling like I just did hurried load in and set up!

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Ha, three hours I wish. I do weddings.
    Both sound and performing. Also setting up lighting and doing EVERYTHING else.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If somebody said they were turning up with just 90 mins to set up in the dLive forum, I’d be shocked, but this is the QU series we’re talking about here.

Much as I’d like 3 or more hours setup, it’s unusual to get that for a lot of the stuff I do these days. At the smaller end of the spectrum there’s all sorts of reasons: availability of the space because the key holder doesn’t get there until 6:00, or there’s an after-school kids club or an arts class in there, or venue charge for the room by the hour and the money’s tight, or they serve food until 7:00……. And the often the band have day jobs, and/or I’m busy on another job.

I wasn’t aware of that app from Studio Six Digital, and I’m seriously tempted by it (thanks Dick), but as far as I can see, if I wanted to use music, rather than noise, to set up my system (and in a pub using noise is just not going to be allowed), I’d need to also buy their interface box at about £450 which is a lot of dosh.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@Dick,

Thanks, may look into that.

We normally take an hour to set up and sound check, but are always at the venue at least 3hrs before doors open. On the circuit we work on that is the norm, you couldn’t turn up 90 mins before showtime or doors opening, that wouldn’t go down very well.

And when I am doing PA hire I insist on a minimum of 3 to 4hrs for load in, set up and sound check, again, these are not pubs that I/we work in. And the bands I work with are all mostly named acts so at least expect a certain amount of professionalism.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’ve worked as house engineer at music venues for many years in the past, and usually started at least 4 hours before doors, and that was with PA permanently rigged. Touring was often as much as 12 hours before doors.

These days I often do smaller stuff, and either can’t get in earlier, or would make myself unpopular with those who just want a quiet drink after work, if I did.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.