One Mix

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Colin-Entner
    Colin-Entner
    Participant

We have recently switched from using avioms as our IEM mixers to ipads running onemix. I noticed today during a sound check that when a musician muted a vocal channel one their ipad One MIx app it also muted it in the mains. This should not happen as their control should only be of the sends to the Aux assigned to that Ipad. Anybody know what is happening here – have i set something up wrong?

Colin

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

A mute button is a mute button, and that’s what it does. I haven’t used Onemix but if it gives the musician access to the channel mutes that seems like a bit of an oversight…

Colin-Entner
    Participant

That’s what I was thinking if it is designed as an IEM personal mixer there shouldn’t be a way for a musician to mute a channel on the mains only on there specific aux. If each person muted a different channel pretty soon there wouldn’t be anything left to mix. I’ll have to experiment more tomorrow with other ipads on different aux’s and see if they all do it. It might be an oversight on my part but it seems like a pretty major issue.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The problem with even having mute buttons is that there is no such thing as “muting a channel in a mix” there is just “muting a channel”. The mutes are doing exactly what they’re supposed to do, but why do the musicians have access to them??

One solution would be to replace the mute buttons in Onemix with buttons that would unassign that input from their aux. As far as that musicians mix is concerned that’s the same as a mute button, but it doesn’t screw up anyone else.

Chris

Colin-Entner
    Participant

On other in ear monitor mixers I have used including the avioms the mute only muted the send of that particular channel to the specific device. They didn’t have direct control over the board and maybe this is where the GLD is the problem. When you eq it also on the onemix app it controls the eq on the FOH as well

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have not had the chance to try out the One Mix but if this is how it works I would not be in favor of it. I for one would never allow the player to be able to either mute the channel or adjust EQ or other parameters. I have no problem with any type of ‘more me’ or personal mixer setup although in solving some problems they have created others. This is an example.

I would say that issue needs to be addressed.

Profile photo of BWC
    BWC
    Participant

Hi All,

It sounds like you are allowing your musicians to “log in” on OneMix with an Admin userID.. That’s probably not the best idea. Go to the GLD or iLive, and setup a user (I called mine “IEM” and then give that user only the permissions to the things that you want them to be able to do. In addition to being able to mute channels in the main mix, if they are logged in as admin then they also have access to channel EQ – and this is the channel EQ for the house.

Hope this helps.
    ~Bryan

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The important difference is that Aviom or ME-1 type systems are their own mixers. Using one GLD with Onemix you are still mixing monitors from FOH, regardless of where the control interface is physically located. There are no extra controls, only remote access to the controls on the GLD. As long as that is kept in mind and musicians are only allowed access to the parts of the GLD that solely affect them there should be no problems.

Colin-Entner
    Participant

Thanks Chris I realize that it is a totally different method and the ipads are just an interface to their Aux mix on the board. The whole reason for using one mix is that they are only supposed to control sends to the assigned aux and have no ipact on the FOH at all. They aren’t logged in as admin but I need to take a closer look at the permissions I have set up on the log in for monitors that may be an issue there Thanks BWC

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Colin,

The Mute button is provided on the ‘My Mix’ layer only. I wouldn’t recommend putting channels you use for FoH mixing on this layer. Some people split one or two inputs, typically the main vocal, to a spare channel, so the monitor mix has independent control over the dynamics and eq of that channel. If you use such a split, then your split channels can go into the ‘My Mix’ layer and the Mute wouldn’t affect FoH.

All other channels should really go into the other layers, where the set of permissions is pretty basic and there is no Mute button.

Hope this helps.

Colin-Entner
    Participant

Thanks Nicola – it makes sense but why have access to the FoH on the app at all? – it seems to make the My Mix layer almost useless unless you split a bunch of channels and you can only put the aux on this channel. How do I split channels? having one input feed two channels independently.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Select the channel to be your second channel for your Aux mix. Go to preamp screen and select the socket you want to assign to that channel. Upper left on Preamp screen. So Mic 1 socket can be on strip 1 say Bank 1 Layer A and can also be on Bank 1 Layer C strip 1(25). Hope that helps.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.