Number of multi-track recording hours – Flash Drives?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Number of multi-track recording hours – Flash Drives?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Salislore Salislore 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Salislore
    Salislore
    Participant

Hi,

I did a search but couldn’t find anything. I think it would be helpful for everyone (a sticky?) if someone could list the estimated number of hours each Flash Drive size can record in 18 multi-track mode:

16GB = X hours
    32GB = X hours
    64GB = X hours
    128GB = X hours.

Can anyone provide that information?

Thanks,
    Salislore

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Normally that information could be taken from Understanding Qu-Drive and USB Devices:

The maximum file size on FAT32 is 4 GB. Qu-Drive audio data rate per track is 8.24 MB / minute (144 KB / second). This would allow a maximum recording time of roughly 8 hours. For 18 tracks you would need 72 GB drive capacity for the maximum recording time.

So:
    (16 * 8) / 72 = ~1.7 hours
    (32 * 8) / 72 = ~3.5 hours
    (64 * 8) / 72 = ~7.1 hours
    (128 * 8) / 72 = ~8 + ~6.2 hours

Salislore
    Participant

Andreas,

I did see that reference in “Understanding Qu-Drive and USB Devices:”, but it was unclear to me. I do have a better understanding now that I looked at your math.

The only remaining question I have is: I’m not sure what influence the maximum file size on FAT32 being 4GB has, if any?

Thanks for your response.
    Salislore

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The 4GB filesize limit restricts maximum take length to 8 hours for multitrack recordings and 4 hours for stereo recordings. That’s why a 128GB drive can hold one 8 hours recording (limited by file size) plus one 6.2 hours recording (limited by remaining space).

Salislore
    Participant

Never mind. I figured it out.

Thanks.

Salislore
    Participant

Ha! I didn’t see the response you just sent.
    Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.