Not underrstanding groups on Qu-24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Not underrstanding groups on Qu-24

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ddff_lv ddff_lv 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PAV
    PAV
    Participant

Just got Qu-24.Loving it. Upgraded to firmware 1.4. I am wanting to use it like the old Presonus Studiolive 24 it replaces, i.e. a stereo group (1&2) for vocals and a stereo group (3&4) for the rest of the band, both bussed to the main L&R outs. I am not understanding how to achieve this.Manual is really vague. Anybody help please ?

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Un-assign the channels and FX returns from LR (press LR mix button, press and hold the “assign” button on the LHS of the console, and press the select button on the relevant channels so they’re no longer illuminated. Switch layers and do the same with the FX returns.)

Assign the channels to the groups (press the relevant group button, press and hold the “assign” button on the LHS of the console, and press the select buttons on the relevant channels/fx returns so they illuminate.)

Assign the group to LR (switch to the master layer, press the LR mix button, press and hold the “assign” button on the LHS of the console and press the select button on the two group masters so they illuminate.) This step my be unnecessary: I don’t remember if gr1-4 are already assigned to LR by default.

You can also do all this through the touchscreen (select channel, routing, “Audio group assign” tab,) but the above method is probably quicker for use with many channels.

Profile photo of PAV
    PAV
    Participant

Thanks Cornelius. I will try that next time I use it.

Profile photo of PAV
    PAV
    Participant

Thanks Cornelius. Worked great.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Are groups the same thing as DCAs?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Ryan. No they are not although people confuse the concept. Groups are just a submixer of the channels assigned to them. Just like on an analog console. The selected channels are unselected from the LR routed to the group then the group to the LR. Whatever processing is available on the group can be applied to all those channels as a whole.

A DCA is just a way of controlling a selected number of channels as a whole only being able to control level and mute. It does not have any processing. The individual channels are left assigned to the LR.

I have had to explained this to people for many years going back to VCAs(voltage controlled amplifiers) on analog consoles. Same thing as DCA on a dig console. Once they understood it they liked using it. Say you could have many stereo things controlled by a VCA without tying up two groups for stereo per instrument. That left groups available for other things that maybe needed overall processing.

Hope that helps.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

And what’s not less important – DCA will also control post fade Auxes. Think of it as hand with infinite number of fingers moving all the faders but keeping their relative ratio.

ddff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.