Noise at the matrix

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Noise at the matrix

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stonepiano Stonepiano 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

Hello,

I am a bit mystified, not completely accustomed to SQ routing/I/O- functionality yet…but I have a couple of fx returns routed to mixes 1/2, and from there on to a matrix- send that takes the feed from the aforementioned auxes. The send levels to matrix are nominal, but instead of getting a healthy surround- reverb, I get a lot of noise -hiss basically- overpowering the fx- signal.

Any suggestions…?

Stonepiano
    Participant

I might add, that the returns and auxes are completely noise- free, it´s just the matrix-send that hisses…

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Stonepiano,

If you go to Setup > Audio > Sig Gen, do you have the Matrix mixes turned on?

Do you have anything patched to the Mix Ext In of the Matrix?

Thanks
    Alex

Stonepiano
    Participant

Hi Alex,

It´s not the signal generator, the noise is not uniform. And there´s no external patch.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If you mute the FX returns, and or Mix 1&2, does that clean it up, or does the matrix output do it all the time?

What do you hear on phones if you PAFL at different points along the chain FX send > FX return >Mix(s) > Matrix that you’ve set up?

Stonepiano
    Participant

Yes, the noise is there, even with the rest of the chain muted. Returns sound OK on PFL, as do the AUX- masters, it´s only the matrix-send. The funny thing is, that I have matrix3 sourced from L/R for my local wedge, and it´s clean.

Stonepiano
    Participant

One more: when I adjust the gain on the matrix, it crackles.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @stonepiano,

Would you be able to send a show file and/or video of this behavior to us using support.allen-heath.com please?
    We’d also need to know about the setup, including where the Matrix outputs are patched (is there any difference between MTX 1, 2 and 3 other than what is routed to them?), the cables you are using and what you are sending to.
    The information you’ve provided so far suggests a problem within the mix processing for only the matrix channels, but the same processor is also carrying out the mix processing for every other output channel too, so this makes no sense!

Thanks,
    Keith.

Stonepiano
    Participant

Hi Keith,

– and thanks for your reply. I’ ll be back at the desk tomorrow, I’ ll send you a videoclip,along with a showfile. Pretty sure I’ m doing sumptin’ wrong here, but most certainly it is not the cabling, something is happening inside the SQ…

Best Regards,

T.K.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.