No grouping functionality on QU-16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions No grouping functionality on QU-16

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cornelius78 cornelius78 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Elephant_Ear
    Elephant_Ear
    Participant

The QU-16 does not have the Grouping functionality like the QU-24 (2 groups) and QU-32 (4 groups). Is there a way to simulate this functionality on the QU-16? For example, could a drum mix (channel 1 thru 7) be assigned to a Mix and then routed to blend with the rest of the channels in the Main LR mix? In this way the drum mix volume could be adjusted across all channels at once by selecting the mix and adjusting the master fader for this mix.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

If grouped level control is all you need, then the DCA’s of the 16 will do.

If you need PROCESSING as a group, then the Qu-16 workaround is to use a Mix such as 9/10 as your group and route it to either of the St1 or St2 inputs for group processing/level control. This requires un-assigning the chosen channels from the L/R mains bus and hard patching the Mix 9/10 outputs to the chosen St input using a pair of XLRF>TRS jumpers.

It works if you can spare the Mix.

Elephant_Ear
    Participant

I see DCA’s were added to QU-16 with V1.5 firmware. Grouped level control is all I need. Will this process adjust the faders of each channel selected in the group? I think this allows adjustment from 0 up to max +10db increase if I read correctly. Could you expand on this process? I am new to the QU line.

Thanks Dick.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The audio of the DCA controlled channels will raise or lower but the faders won’t actually move.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

What George said…

The DCA’s control the overall level of the selected channels. The physical faders do not move.

You may change the relative levels of the selected channels within the DCA at any time and the DCA “fader” will still adjust the level of the “grouped” channels reflecting the individual channel level adjustments you have made.

Have fun.

Elephant_Ear
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback George and Dick.

I am trying to decide between the QU-16 and QU-24. Channel wise the 16 will be comfortable but nearly full. I do like the Group functionality of the bigger QU’s, not sure about Matrix functionality. Trying to decide if the additional cost, size and weight will be worth it for these functions and more channels that will most likely not be used. If you have any final comments I certainly appreciate it.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It is all in what you really need. I am a dealer. I keep a QU16 for small events or demos. I have a GLD80 for larger events. I keep a AR2412 and a AR084 for whatever comes up. The 16 does most things. It is actually 22 inputs so fits most small events. If you can afford it a 24 is a great compromise. I have sold more QU24’s than anything else.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I use a 16, and do exactly what you are looking to do with the drums on a DCA.

It works very well.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

In addition to the obvious increase in IO and fader count (makes the custom layer more useful, and gets more of the geq under your fingers at once,) I’d also point out the the Qu24 has an additional 2 dedicated FX buses, LEDs on the scribble strips which make it easier to identify which layer you’re on, and more softkeys (10 vs 4.) IMO these additions make the console easier to operate.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.